Author Topic: Lake Tahoe Mini Meetup  (Read 1181 times)

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Lake Tahoe Mini Meetup
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 08:49:47 pm »
Here's a taste of what it was like in Tahoe this past week (Monday - Friday were all powder days!):

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 06:20:28 am »
Anybody else notice the big smile on High Angles face? He would come down from the mountain each day, much later than me, just sooooo happy and rant about the conditions he experienced. It was one of the great skiing experiences of my life.

Liam - Ask HA about the Mt. Rose chutes in new powder. They opened early afternoon on our last day. HA was a madman of anticipation at lunch, then, spent the afternoon in them.

I, too, have spent the last 2 days recovering and hope to share some ski reviews.

Next year the Epic gathering will be at Big Sky. I mentioned this to JB and, if the timing works, he will try to be there. Several on our forum have talked in the past about doing a joint Big Sky event, so, start saving up your nickles and dimes. There are so many great people who attend the Gathering, it's a very worthwhile experience - for the skiing and the personal interaction.

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 05:07:28 pm »
LP, it was great seeing you and skiing with you again.
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 09:59:50 pm »
SnowHot:

And a big CONGRATULATIONS to you and Phil.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 08:02:56 am »
LP, it was great seeing you and skiing with you again.

And right back at you, Snow Hot! :D

Trish now works as an instructor at Mt. Rose a few days a week. Her skiing is very much improved and she leaves me far behind.

and for those of you who missed the big event, check out the slideshow of "White Wedding Day"

Anybody guess who the guy in the bright, blue Patagucci jacket shown kissing the bride is?

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 01:40:01 pm »
I would answer your question, but I clearly have an unfair advantage. ;)

And I have to agree, SnowHot's skiing is light years beyond where she was the last time we skied together (which wasn't all that long ago).  The Tahoe lifestyle is clearly having positive effects!

And clearly although The Gathering is an Epic pseudo-official event, it's not really about Epic (and definitely not about religious wars regarding skiing training methods), it's about a bunch of friends who have been getting together to ski with each other over the years.  All are welcome and I believe that everyone can get what they want out of it (depending on what you put into it).

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 08:44:59 am »
Thanks for the congratulations. 
LP thanks for posting the video.  There should be no doubt that we're blessed with much happiness and amazing friends.  Imagine the first real week of powered in the Tahoe area during the EpicSki Gathering, and our friends came in from the powder skiing to celebrate our wedding. 

As HighAngles said, its not about EpicSki or religious wars, its about friends getting together to ski and laugh and...........
This year, however, was EpicSki's Rock Concert in terms of Gatherings.  One of the most attended, with Epic conditions, and many events scheduled around it to make it really special, including a kick off night for Alaskan Brewing Company's  Stake Your Claim, Mt Rose Demo's and........ An Epic Wedding!!
Did LP mention that our wedding outfits were by Sportwear of Sweden?  For those of you who know Phil, you'll understand just how cool that is.

This is the picture that we'll be hanging over our fireplace.

~nolo

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 12:00:57 pm »
Wonderful picture.
Congratulations to you both!
Looks like a great wedding day.

Are the jackets any relation to "the sweater"? 8)

May the wind at your backs be full of snowflakes
and the journey thru life together be as sweet as a powder day.

L.

"Play it Sam"

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 05:18:36 pm »
Wonderful picture.
Congratulations to you both!
Looks like a great wedding day.

Are the jackets any relation to "the sweater"? 8)

May the wind at your backs be full of snowflakes
and the journey thru life together be as sweet as a powder day.

L.
Thank you for the kind wishes.  We are very happy.

SOS: Yes the ski outfits are both contemporary versions of a vintage design.  They are from the same company that makes Phil's famous "the Sweater" 
Needless to say, we'll be writing reviews on the outfits, which I absolutely love. 

On the day of our wedding, I was actually wondering if it would be warm enough.  After all, there was a blizzard out there :o

After a few runs, I'd almost wished I hadn't worn the mid layer that I'd chosen.  I am very impressed with the comfort, fashion and technical features of this line.  The only down side is that you have to pull it over your head, which can be a royal pain.  But that's part of its charm as well. 
~nolo

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2012, 11:21:08 am »
Liam - Ask HA about the Mt. Rose chutes in new powder. They opened early afternoon on our last day. HA was a madman of anticipation at lunch, then, spent the afternoon in them.

Well I got hit with the flu all week so now I'm way behind in everything in my life.  It had me knocked on my back for 6 days.

So... I've only posted one video so far and it's raw - no soundtrack other than my personal exclamations during the run.  This is the cut-throat chute at Mt. Rose.  The steepness is about 40-45* at the very top and mellows out to around 30* until the bottom.  It was about 2-3' of new snow, I had something like the 3rd tracks in there, and every turn felt bottomless.

P.S. I guess there's no way to embed videos on this forum software?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:23:41 am by HighAngles »

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 11:59:25 pm »
Nice Video.  The interesting thing is that a POV doesn't give the chute justice.  Your commentary, however, was awesome!!
~nolo