Author Topic: Dolphin turns video  (Read 1284 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
Dolphin turns video
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:37:40 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ey61b4YbA&feature=player_embedded

done on blue groomer on eastern hardpack. I wish they were better but I have not seen anyone else on ever post a video of these. It does  Show dynamic balance movements including "foot Squirt". This is a great move to practice to become better at short turns, bumps, powder,tree and recovering from mistakes

clip one is full speed, clip 2 is half speed, and clip 3 show fall line to fall line in super SLOW MO so you can clearly see the balancing movement of getting "aft" so that you can actually move into the turn faster than just staying "forward" at all time. Notice that when done you are forward when in the fall line.

I think I do these better on steeper terrain as its hard to work a ski a with less momentum. That video will come as well

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Dolphin turns video
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 05:49:43 pm »
Josh
Impressive! I know I can't do them.

Perhaps Max 501 will correct me if wrong, but I believe there is video of HH doing these.
Can't remember where I saw it.

It takes high level of fore/aft balance to do those.

L.
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:11:26 pm »
Google search of "dolphin ski turns video"  brings up several.  I've also seen a video at some point of the CSIA team demoing them.

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 06:52:05 am »
Ah, youth.  You get some pretty good amplitude on those turns, Josh.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 01:25:01 pm »

BTW-the above video is the best Dolphin turn video I've seen yet! 

Mike Hafer does a great job of demonstrating the turn, and how to use it as a drill and how it applies in serious bump.  He really shows a lot of great and versatile ways to use the Dolphin turn.  More than I've seen anywhere else.

Oh, and he is the best PSIA Demo skier I've seen, this guy rips.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 03:00:41 pm »
Anybody remember the movie - White Men Can't Jump? I think it's safe to say that in this lifetime, this body will not be making dolphin turns. I'm still trying just to leverage tails off the snow in the 'way forward' drill.

Josh, what are you doing on a way-danerous groomer?  And that instructor jacket just makes for such a big target. My real question is how does it help your skiing?

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 04:32:58 pm »
I tried some of these drills the other day stationary and on the flats. While I think I was able to manage a few efforts before wearing out...(embarrassed to say my fitness level is not where it should be) I pretty much looked and felt like a drunk Wallaby...... :-[

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 07:16:30 pm »
I tried some of these drills the other day stationary and on the flats. While I think I was able to manage a few efforts before wearing out...(embarrassed to say my fitness level is not where it should be) I pretty much looked and felt like a drunk Wallaby...... :-[

when not moving these are harder. Skiing is dynamic and this is a dynamic maneuver. These take almost no cardio effort when done right as your using the force of skiing to accomplish the dolphin movement. In fact that are much easier to do from an effort stand point compared to leapers.

LP I have a video uploading showing the next progression of this.

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 07:33:09 pm »
Anybody remember the movie - White Men Can't Jump? I think it's safe to say that in this lifetime, this body will not be making dolphin turns. I'm still trying just to leverage tails off the snow in the 'way forward' drill.

Josh, what are you doing on a way-danerous groomer?  And that instructor jacket just makes for such a big target. My real question is how does it help your skiing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KsULFyp9r4&feature=youtu.be

I think the answer should be pretty clear to your question "Of what does this do for your skiing" is replicates extreme dynamic balance movements that are required to ski are the highest level in short turns especially off piste short turns.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 08:32:26 pm »
Gee, Max

Here's the difference I saw:  Hafer was the only one to actually demonstrate how these turns apply to bump skiing (in two different ways in fact and he did it well, in Big bumps that don't require the time-honored 'these bumps are bigger than they look' plaint).  Plus his amplitude just about doubled the others (and trebled Harb's).    Since the other's were basically stylized hop-turns done on blue groomers I'd have to guess their main purpose was to sucker middle-aged, mogul-phobic, low intermediates into over-priced ski lessons.

I get it, he augurs more off the tails, however the results looked pretty impressive when put to the appropriate test (that is, actual high energy bump skiing).

Sheesh.

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 08:46:21 pm »
Liam I feel that this video I took today does a pretty good job of showing that as well. I do not like exaggerated movements because they are wasted energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KsULFyp9r4&feature=youtu.be

BTW I think max is saying HH turns are Flex to release where as all others are extentsion. IN the bumps I think and I hope I am not delusion that my turns are flex to release.

HeluvaSkier

• Consider me the reason you should pay attention...
  • Instructor
  • 100 Posts
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 09:45:45 pm »
Has the Berger link been posted yet?
All-Mountain: A common descriptive term for boots or skis that are designed to perform equally poorly under a variety of conditions and over many different types of terrain.

HeluvaSkier

• Instructor
  • 100 Posts
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 07:44:28 pm »
This one?

Looks like a mini dolphin with less pullback.

Yep. That skiing is impressive.
All-Mountain: A common descriptive term for boots or skis that are designed to perform equally poorly under a variety of conditions and over many different types of terrain.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 10:31:15 pm »
This one?

Looks like a mini dolphin with less pullback.
So is he flexing or extending to create separation from the snow.
Heluva: What do you most admire about his skiing?

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

HeluvaSkier

• Instructor
  • 100 Posts
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 07:58:07 pm »
Heluva: What do you most admire about his skiing?

In general. Ski performance. He knows how to use a ski.

Most think they know how to use a ski. Very few do.