Author Topic: Kastle MX 88, Blizzard Bonafide, Rossi E 88, Kastle BMX 88  (Read 2797 times)

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Kastle MX 88, Blizzard Bonafide, Rossi E 88, Kastle BMX 88
« on: February 03, 2012, 05:34:49 pm »
I am 6' 2" 195lbs decent skier for only getting 10 -15 days a year currently - prob level 8 (I'll Gary rate my skiing - awkward and perhaps not accurate to do it yourself)

My skis - SS magnum 177 and Fischer Watea 98 186cm

Conditions - firm western groomers with little else.  Did some bump skiing but very limited.  The group I was with are strong GS rip it to the bottom and talk on the lift skiers.  They are runners and in excellent shape and don't need much rest - so there was a premium on ripping down the mountain.

I did do some slower skiing with my wife and on my own but not as much.

Kastle MX 88 178cm
I had to see if they lived up to the hype and I was not disappointed.  These skis rip and for skiing as speeds that are STUPID FAST - they are amazing.  Feels like they have super powerful rare earth magnets pulling you on the slope and down the mountain.  I have never been on a more stable speed. 

I was able to change turn shape, carve them, drift them, cross under, cross over, ............. was really impressed. I did a very short section of bumps and felt very much in control - I am not a very good bump skier.

Blizzard Bonafide 187cm
From what I have read - a great all rounder and I was curious how they would do on the groomed.  These skis ripped!
The first run of the day was down Heavenly Daze and Lower Valley view at Steamboat - the runs were hard groomed - like an eastern slope that had thawed then got groomed and refroze at night. I had a little tip chatter but the skis were solid.  The rest of the morning I did not have any more tip chatter.  I don't know if I was more confident on them and tipping them more or if the snow had softened up.  I skied these as fast as the MX 88 and although not quite as solid - very close which is saying a lot.  They were longer so that has to be factored in. 

I was going down the bottom of Vagabond and flexing an tipping my downhill ski PMTS style and they were very predictable and confidence inspiring.  I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  Didn't do any bumps as my wife was not skiing that day and I had to keep up with my GS ers.

Was able to shorten turns, drift, whatever. A very fun ski.

Rossi E 88 186cm
For a groomer ski - this was a lot of fun.  More dynamic than the Bonafide and Kastle.  When you tipped it you really engaged quickly.  It reminded me of the first time I got on some Supershapes, if you where not paying attention, they would put you in the back seat.  Very fun ski for GS turns. NICE acceleration, edge grip and very stable at speed. Almost as good as the bonafide but really hard to say to be honest.  Didn't like short turns as much though.  I skied it through some gates on a NASTAR course and it was a lot of work tightening up shorter turns. 

Kastle BMX 88 178cm
Weakest of a strong group. Less metal, softer, more rocker.  Skied groomers pretty good on the groomers; better than my Wateas (These are a 70/30 off/on piste ski )  but not as good as the others by quite a bit. Could easily do any radius turn.  Was predicable but I wouldn't call it fun.

I would love to ski the Bonafide and the Kastle MX 88 188 in some new snow and soft bumps (my kind since I am working on that  :D)  My guess is that the MX 88 at the 178 would be the length I would prefer in bumps but the 188 in deeper snow and groomers (and I can't imagine what kind of stability that might have on groomers  :o)

I took my Watea 98 in the bumps yesterday and they are really pretty good there.  They give me knee pain on groomers - I think because they chatter at speed. This is my only beef with them.  They are fun, quick for their 98 waist and able to do a variety of turn shapes.  Don't have much energy on the groomers even though they are solid. Definitely have a speed limit at about 40 MPH. They were great last year in the powder and glade skiing. I think I will have them on Ebay soon unless someone here wants them for a fair price.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Perry,

What a difference a year makes, both on snow and ski appreciation.

I have the MX88 in the length you demo'd, 178. It's a stiffer, hard snow bias ski and does all the things you describe. I would not buy it in a longer length just to ski some powder, and, I sure don't need it in a longer length for my skiing, including taking it into the bumps ( I am you size ). The MX88 will also work pretty well on your home mountain at the expense of fast edge changes. Unless you can find a great deal on one, it would be hard for me to justify the price given your reviews of the Bonifide and Rossi 88.

If it were me and a yearly trip to Steamboat was on my agenda, the Bonifide offers a lot of soft snow upside. Not sure if some additional hard snow performance warrants sending the Watea's to ebay. Plus taking a 100 mm waist ski to an eastern groomed mountain is a knee strainer for me.

Thanks for the quick review, and, glad you are back on the snow.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Mike,
You are right in saying that i would not need more stability on the groomers than what i get on the 178 mx88.  Very fun and versatile.

I ended up with a love hate feel for the rossi e88. I LOVED the energy they had but i didn't like that they locked me in to a turn shape (this is an overstatement but they are relatively resistant to tighter turns and you have to work harder than i like pressuring the shovel.)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Hey Perry, great reports....

Having skied with you I know how much you love speed and you've got great feet...

More skis on you wish list to demo?....and are you looking to see the E88 and MX88 get a room and see what they spawn?

G

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
There are always more skis to demo!!!

I had fun, I only wish the conditions were more varied.  I noticed that Clendenin was riding an MX 88.  Is that his ski now?

It was good to see Ron.  He is going to get the knee repaired in early March.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
For sure Perry!

Glad you enjoyed...and for sure if we're sliding and carving....we be smilin'!  :D

As for John....the last time I saw him he was on the LX82....I think the better choice for him is the 88...where did you see him on the 88's? I think he's repn" Kastle.

My brother in law demoed a pair of 88's Sunday and was immediately smitten...he currently rides the Head SS Mags...

He's working on trying to buy that demo.

Yup, Ron enjoyed your company too. His surgery date is March 8th. He's ready to move on.

Did Gloria enjoy the snow conditions and did she demo any skis?

G