Author Topic: Kastle BMX 78  (Read 2595 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Kastle BMX 78
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:46:23 am »
I went to our local mountain yesterday to meet my cousin and since we have the same boot size...we get to ride each others skis:

Weather: 45 degrees
               spring soft snow on all trails
               uneven conditions with 3-5 inches along the edges

Me: 5'8" 156lbs, advanced skier

168, BMX78: I thought this a worthy test as I own the MX78 and FX84's...I snapped into the skis trading my 84's with my cousin. He had the Kastle binding mounted +1 and no interface. First thing I noticed is how light they felt and how easily they moved edge to edge. They do not have the energy the MX78 has. They felt much more tame. The BMX78 underfoot felt stable in the soft snow. In the clumped up, I did notice more deflection than I would have experienced with the MX series and considerably more than the 84 has. This ski loves to carve up the soft snow feeling much quicker edge to edge than it's width might imply. All kinds of turns from short to medium to long GS turns are easy for the ski and it feels fairly stable in these turn shapes. Brush turns, drifting...all easy to do. My cousin just passed his National Saftey Patrol test and I think this ski with it's turn ease, snow versatility and lightness will prove to be an excellent work horse. The ski also performs well in soft bumps, no MX78 tail kick to it. The BMX does have early rise tip. I did notice the 84 shovel feels like it pulls stronger into the turn than does the 78. My thinking was that was becuase of how the different shovels engage. In the conditions we were skiing, both turn entries felt comfortable it's just that the BMX entry felt a bit muted.

Afterwords, I got back on the FX 84 and in comparison, it felt much more solid underfoot and in the heavy crud along the edges, was more stable especially when I picked up the speed.
Still all in all....I found the BMX 78 very easy to ski and would recommend it for any light weight male or female intermedite to advanced skier who wants a fun, quick, versatile, playful stable ski.

G
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:02:41 pm by Gary »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: Kastle BMX 78
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:47:46 pm »
Most of the reviews on the new BMX line (not the BMX's that have replaced the larger wider MX skis) have all been poor. I am not sure how many intermediate skiers want to pay a huge premium for a ski that they will outgrow if they work on their skiing. I think Kastle has done a ton right, but I really don't understand the thinking behind this line at all. Thanks for your review!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 01:11:39 pm »
I too was confused with Kastles addition of the BMX line. My only thought was they were initially trying to soften their MX skis to provide a bit more snow conditions versatility.

I can say with the BMX 78, there are a lot less pricey skis in this category that may provide comparable performance at a lesser price. I have had other skis in the mid 70 range. This ski is much livelier than those. For the conditions I tried it in, this ski carves well , floats decent and was really very playful. For a skilled light weight skier....could be a good choice and worthy of a comparison demo in hard and soft snow conditions.

Lot's of choices in this 70 something underfoot....as we reccommend...try before you buy....g

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:13:31 pm by Gary »

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 03:32:20 pm »
Most of the reviews on the new BMX line (not the BMX's that have replaced the larger wider MX skis) have all been poor. I am not sure how many intermediate skiers want to pay a huge premium for a ski that they will outgrow if they work on their skiing. I think Kastle has done a ton right, but I really don't understand the thinking behind this line at all. Thanks for your review!

I have  skied 178cm BMX 98 which I felt was a damn good ski. Actually alittle to stiff, straight and dead feeling for bumps. Charging though crud it was the most stable sub 180cm I have ever skied. IT was fun in our powder filled trees but not quite as good as the much cheaper "The one" .

The 188cm BMX 108 is alittle to big, straight, and lacks a twin tip and stuff for stowe and make nosense here. Wish I could try it out out west.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 05:30:59 pm »
My wife demoed the BMX98 and had a blast crushing the heavy wet snow piles and crud..she felt unstopable...but that was were it ended....next day on more tame terrain....she made one run on groomers and felt the ski was stiff and not lively. She quickly jumped back on the MX78...her all time favorite ski.

ah indeed we live and learn!

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:15:34 pm »
The BMX 98 is the old MX 98, and those are nice skis even if most would prefer the MX 78 on hard snow. That is a different line than the new BMX line of thinnner skis (in slots where they also have a MX in the same or similar widths).

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 10:25:03 am »
I skied the bmx 88 (178cm I think) one day here in steamboat.  It is very easy to ski.  We have had NO SNOW!!!.  I was mostly with my wife on groomers.  It was actually very competent there but it lacked energy.  It was a relaxing ride, didn't have to stay on top of it (probably also why it was a bit boring on the groomers.)  I would guess it is not really a frontside ski, more for bumps, crud, chopped etc;

I agree with Gary - it would be a great ski for an advancing intermediate who wanted to get better.  (I also agree with JB - I would not put down the coin for this ski over some others out there)

Interesting what Josh is saying - maybe he is using it for what it was made for?

I also skied the MX 88 and the Bonafide - thats another story for later when I have more time.

I am actually not skiing today - don't want to pay $100 for a 6th groomer day  :( 
Going out with my wife to check out the town of steamboat.

Perry

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:27:14 pm »
Hey Perry....great thoughts and I look forward to your comments on the MX88 and Bonifide. A little bird told me you were ripping some pretty good lines on those 88's!

Sorry you missed out on any pow....hmmmmm ::) we had 7" fall overnight one day in Ellicottville. Been like that the last 4 trips there...maybe we could convince you to pop up for next years event!  :D

Enjoy Steamboat, safe travels and look forward to your reviews.

G

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 04:32:26 pm »
Gary - would love to make the event!

Looking at the radar here has been weird - we are in the eye of the snowstorm.  When it wants to come back to dump here it hits the divide and stops.  Last year was epic - so this is life.