Author Topic: A 3 Carver Review  (Read 764 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: A 3 Carver Review
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:53:38 am »
Hey Mike, thanks for the reviews.  Sounds like you had a great day.  You hit on a couple of skis that I have been checking out for my wife as possible replacements for her SS Speeds. 

A couple of questions:

Kastle....does this ski have the dual radius sidecut like the MX78? How did it handle snappy short turns? Was it more of a GS-only feel? Or did they feel agile, light and quick, or were they heavier, more solid and measured in their handling?

Elan....when you pressured the inside (uphill) ski, how did the ski respond wrt. edge hold? Any loss of grip, slipping? I'm particularly curious about that aspect, as my wife uses the inside ski very actively for all of her carved turns (I think it's her ice skating background), and that Amphibio design has me thinking that there might not be the same solid edge hold on the inside edge as a regular camber ski.  Any comments?  (BTW, the women's version of this ski won Ski of the Year at Realskiers review site -- scored all 5's....remarkable).

I checked out the Elan at a shop in Vancouver recently, and the rockered portion of the ski's tip is really not all that pronounced.  It's only rockered about 1.5 or 2 inches back from where the cambered edges touch each other, when the bases are squeezed flat together.  And it only just a gentle rocker; maybe a few millimeters offset.  Interesting design....  I can't imagine that little bit of rocker causing a major loss of edge grip, but it would be good to get your feedback. 

Cheers,
Svend
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:07:35 am by Svend »