Author Topic: New ski dilemma  (Read 541 times)

BMLO13

  • Guest
New ski dilemma
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:39:01 pm »
Hello everyone,

This is my first post hope I get it right. I am 49  years old, 6'2" and 203 lbs. I think I'm a intermediate moving to advance skier. Comfortable on any blue and able to do some blacks. Mostly on trail skiing, but looking to try off trail. We ski both east coast and west coast. Hope to go to Utah next season. When we go west we go for 10 days, and get in 6 or 7 days on the mountain. Our east coast trips have been shorter, 1 to 3 days of skiing. We have been skiing 15 years, and for the most part it has been one trip a year. I have my own boots that I love and they have help my skiing allot. Last year did some demos on the east coast. K2 rictor and Blizzard  7.6. I liked the Rictors the most. Wanted to demo more but the weather turned. This year I went to buy the Rictor in a 174, but I know I need to go with the 181. Anyway I order a pair of used demos in great shape on line for a good price. Long story short they sold a ski they didn't have. To make up for the mistake they have offered me my choice of new Nordicas, the Fire Arrow 80 Ti or Hot Rod Tempest. The Fire Arrow seems to be on the same skill level as the Rictor so if I take the offer that is the one I am leaning to. Here is the dilemma should I; (1)  Take the offer, ski the ski, hope I like it and if not sell it, or demo one and then decide ( that way it is still a new unused ski ).  (2) Take the offer and just sell the ski and put the money towards the Rictor. (3) Get my money back and keep looking for the Rictor. Tomorrow I am going to a ski shop to look at the Fire Arrow. One thing that I can't seem to find out is Nordicas camrock the same thing as K2 all terrain rocker? The rocker is part of what I liked about the Rictor. Anyone have any ideas on my dilemma?


jim-ratliff

  • 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
  • ******
  • Posts: 2739
Re: New ski dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 11:37:42 pm »
It's hard to ignore the fact that you demoed and liked the ski. Even if the other skis did have some rocker or early rise, it's likely that the skis would still feel different. Maybe better, maybe not.

I would get your money back rather than letting them keep your money by sending you something else.
Then check out some of the older ski reviews on the Real Skiers subscription site and see what else you might want to demo.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:25:52 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

LivingProof

  • Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
  • *
  • Posts: 892
Re: New ski dilemma
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:48:17 am »
I'm jumping in to offer some thoughts solely based on a demo day with both the Richtor and the Fire Arrow 80. I loved the Fire Arrow best of all the demo skis I did last year. Had it on some softer eastern snow that day. I'm about your size and my style of skiing is more turn oriented than high speed oriented. In three runs, they just stuck in my mind. They may have some of the worst graphics on a modern ski - many people will not buy it for that reason alone, plus, it is a very pricey ski. It's a system ski so it does come with bindings, not sure of how much your cost would be, but, $500 - $600 was seen for last years version, I could be tempeted to buy yours if you did not like them.

I could not wait to give the Richtor back to the K2 rep. Stiff and lifeless on the same snow as above. A friend skied it next and he liked it, but, he skis a very stiff Volkl that I do not like.

Nobody should ever buy a ski based on my experiences. I can't see the benefit of rocker in a narrower ski (by today's standard), and, remain convinced it's there more for marketing.
I would get my money back and start anew. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:50:44 am by LivingProof »

BMLO13

  • Guest
Re: New ski dilemma
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:26:45 pm »
Done deal. Found a Rictor at a good $, and got my money back for the skis I never got. 

jim-ratliff

  • 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
  • ******
  • Posts: 2739
Re: New ski dilemma
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:24:58 pm »

Well done. Sounds like a Happy Ending.  Lets hope that snow to use them on starts falling soon.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

BMLO13

  • Guest
Re: New ski dilemma
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:22:13 pm »
It will, my snow tires are not on yet, and my snow blower is not running. Any day now any day................ .............