Author Topic: DPS 112rp on snow review  (Read 868 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
DPS 112rp on snow review
« on: December 13, 2011, 05:10:12 pm »
Today, Dec 13th
Skis: DPS 112 rp, 178 length
Me: 154 lbs, 5'8"
Binding: Marker jester 13
Mounted: +2
Where: Deer  Valley
Conditions: 3-5 inches fresh, 5-12  inches along the edges
Terrain...best pitch open was Western Blues

For our first 4 days of skiing Deer Valley, they had the most trails open, light crowds and no boarders....hammere d the MX78's. Groomers that were sweet, worked on technique, had sun and fun.

The 5th day arrived and I was debating whether or not to take out the fat boards. Svend, Alice and Ron..called and said "take out the dam boards wuss"  :P...still I didn't buy them to ski groomers. So fortune shined and it dumped all morning leaving us with great snow.

Test time: 9:15, Got off the chair and ran them flat along the edges, mounting position seemed to be comfortable. Then drifted them each side, very easy to do, no probs with the 112 underfoot. Next, I gathered some speed and using PMTS skills and Clendenin ski tools, brought them up on edge, made mixed turns for short, to medium to long....they were solid on edge, felt very light and connected, very co-operative. The smile on my face was ear to ear!  ;D

A special note: the Marker Jester 13 binding was a perfect interface. The ski felt complete in arc's tip to tail....perfect pairing.

Next run up, I targeted the edges,....my playground,...getting off into untouched snow, up and sideways on the banks, small hits landing 2 footed and they just absorbed and let me keep trucking.

The tip and tail on these skis are amazing...starting with the tip...very easy to start the turn off the front of the ski when I wanted,  very little if any tip chatter even at higher speeds. Now the tail...gotta tell ya.....I thought it was a twin tip...the tail was solid making all turns allowing me to finish any turn I wanted on it. These skis also shine being skied right off of the center underfoot...so easy to do.

I think given it's lightness, 16m turning radius and how easy it is to make all kinds of turns it showed my it's great versatility and ease to juice it up and lay it out...skied it about 21,000 vertical today and NO NO NO sore knees.

So someone else please demo this ski and report...cause IMO...this is the best ski Ive ever ever ever skied. It is so versatile...even on scraped off hardpack...it hooks up it's edges like a GS ski does...crank tight, skiing flat to slurry like a snake, 2 footed, one footed...this ski made me feel like a pro. Now I didn't buy this ski for low snow days but my test today showed my it's one freakn' fantastic ski!

Don't know who tested this ski for RS...but they are so far off the mark it's just ridiculous.
Got on one if you're looking for a super versatile fun enjoyable ride...call me wacked but this it THE ski of my dreams.

Best, g

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:01:06 pm by Gary »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: DPS 112rp on snow review
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 05:35:57 pm »
So I guess it's safe to assume you're on the 190.  How big are you?

I've said it before, but the 112RP in 190cm skis like a really wide 160cm SL ski on the hard pack.  Then you take it in the deep stuff and it's too much fun for words.

Unfortunately CO hasn't gotten any great snow yet this season so it looks like it's going to be a bit longer until mine see some snow again.  If you see a guy in line with yellow bananas covered in stickers then you'll know you've found me and it's gonna be a good day.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 06:00:11 pm »
Hey HA....fun for sure.

Me...I'm a freankn' giant!

5'8" 154 lbs of ....well 154 lbs!

I'm skiing the 178 length.

Dam high weather was stuck over the rockies and wasatch...the boat got 5 inches today too.

Gotta start dancing the Snowatella!

G

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 06:45:19 am »
Gary,
Did you say they were yellow?  ;D

Glad you got on them and sure hope you get some 3D so they get the full monte review.
In Tahoe this year, for sure, I'll get on a pair.

The devil in me found your initial review from last year of the Rossi S3:

The Rossi S3 hit the spot.
The first thing I noticed right away was how easy it was to drift. Dropping into lines that were narly, drift away. Anywhere I elected, they just were so easy to do so. Carve indeed, high angle no problem, speed no problem or no limit I've found so far. Bumps, even though the RS testers didn't give it any acknowledgement for bumps, I've been skiing bumps the past 2 days and they are a blast especially in the soft bumps. Stability...I was near the bottom of a ungroomed run with broken snow and bumps. I pointed the skis downhill, centered myself, made sure they were flat on the snow and just ripped away. They were unphased by all the varied terrain they were eating up....rocker steady so to speak.
For a ski with a 20m turning radius, they can be finessed around very quickly. If you've got good feet, the serve you well. I even hit some skied off end of day today and just drifted through it and hooked the edges up right after. With a 1 base and 1 sidebevel, I was astonished how well they held edge.

I am curious as to your thoughts on the differences between the two skis. They sound similar in the snow you skied this week, which should not show off the strengths of both skis.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 06:57:20 pm »
Hey Mike, the Rossi S3 is a different ski and part of my evolution in looking for the perfect pow plus ski.

The S3 at 98 underfoot was great fun and versatile with a 20m turning radius. It was heavier and more work edge to edge...not bad but the DPS is quicker, lighter, wider and turnier, shovels stay above surface, and I can't wait to hear your review of them...it's a must you try them.

It's great fun to be able to try and search for THE product that just seems to fit the bill...like my MX78's have for me....the S3's ....my son now has them...and can't wait to get on them.

Max...there are some here I have skied with me. I know I talk about how I ski but pics and videos do tell the story....there are some history pics of me over on Clendenin's site....send me your email and I'll send you some photo's from last season.

But take it from me, having seen pics of you skiing.....I think this ski would be a fantastic demo for you....would love to hear your review.

I know High Angles loves them...would like to hear from others who follow PMTS principals and see what their thoughts are.

Best, g

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:58:59 am »
Indeed I did...understand now.

Ah ye of little faith...I too was a non-believer. I too have tried all sorts of rockered designs having owned a few....finding that there was much for me to be desired...this ski however is a totally different animal!

Let me know if you can get on a pair...

I have to say again, I didn't buy these to ski groomers...but I still wanted a pow ski that I can use ALL my ski tools and IMO....this ski out performs anything I've ever skied.

Best, G

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 08:04:30 am »
Ok - so I'm back from the dead.  Good to read some skiing posts again.

Gary - just looked at a DPS review on youtube - if I didn't know you and your skiing I would be VERY skeptical.  It looks like a big yellow quasi water ski.  Have I have entered a Salvador Dali parallel ski universe? ( with all that rocker it could be a traditional ski in a Dali painting!)   Interesting for sure.

Would love to make some turns soon.  Once my kids get out of college I will be able to GO TO DEER VALLEY!! too nice

Hope you have fun

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 09:17:51 am »
You misunderstood my post. I think that video/pics of the reviewer on the ski they are reviewing adds value to the review. See Dawg's stuff for great examples.

I have demo'd a few highly rated early rise/rockered skis and that includes the Blizzard BW and Bone. I do not uderstand all the hype these designs are generating. Given the amount of early rise/rocker on the DPS I have my doubts.

thats because you ski are western mountain that is wide open.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 09:21:48 am »
Hey Perry....good to have you back here. I do understand the drain game with kids in college.
Ha...the yellow waters ski...you're so right...I had to stop looking down and just ski the boards....and they are a blast. Hope you get a chance to demo a pair. Knowing how you ski, it's a great fit.

So Perry, are you going to try and get away at all this season? How about coming up and joining us for the Holiday Valley Guy Ski get away...Jan 29-31st...I could pick you up in Buffalo or come on up to Rochester earlier and will ski here a day and then head to HV for 3 more days of skiing.

Max....I'm thinking you mean center of ski to point of contacts tip and tail....I'll check that out and get back to you...g
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:25:26 am by Gary »

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 11:23:03 am »
anything that is not cross blocking is wide open to me. I would love to see video of the tight trees out west becausse every place I have been not a single one has tighter trees than North Eastern mountian, especially the stuff we skied that is not trimmed at all.

I like more camber out west for sure, its make the ski much more stable. A ski like the Cochise with camber underfoot is graet for me where as fully reverse like a Gypsy or a katana only really work for me back east where 99 percent of the powder skiing is in tight places.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 01:01:44 pm »
Hope you get a chance to demo a pair. Knowing how you ski, it's a great fit.

So Perry, are you going to try and get away at all this season? How about coming up and joining us for the Holiday Valley Guy Ski get away...Jan 29-31st...I could pick you up in Buffalo or come on up to Rochester earlier and will ski here a day and then head to HV for 3 more days of skiing.

Gary - always looking to help me with my demo list! They look fun, esp if you had a foot of powder or more.

Hope to go to Steamboat Jan 28 to Feb 4.
Other than that it could be slim pickins this year which SUCKS  ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 01:30:40 pm »
Why of course Perry....and even in 3-5" of fresh and pushed up piles,....they were simply a great ride. Hope you get chance.

Hey...happy to hear you guys are going to make it out west...nice.

AND if you and Gloria need a weekend getaway to snow, Alice and I always got an extra room for ya!

Best, G