Author Topic: Ski Gear Recommendation  (Read 647 times)

CIncyStorm

Ski Gear Recommendation
« on: November 14, 2011, 10:33:09 am »
I could use some advice.  I'm 5'11 and 180-185lbs.  I ski east coast snow.  75-80% rails, 25-20% jumps (30 ft max).  I've been looking at the Atomic Punx, Rossignol Scratches, Armada T-Halls, Halos, and AR7. I also want the ski to be light and durable.  What would you guys recommend as the best choice?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Ski Gear Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:53:20 am »
Cincy:  if you aren't already a subscriber, Realskiers subscription site is a great source of impartial ski reviews collected from a broad group of skiers, most of whom work at ski shops.  See  www.realskiers.com.
In addition, we'll see if any of the postets have information.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:24:47 pm »
Icelantic Da'Nollie. 

Cooler than all those, looks better, (well!) made in the USA and very versatile.

Your welcome,

Liam

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 02:40:06 pm »
CIncy -- I don't ski twins myself, but my daughters do.  Therefore I am moderately informed, strictly at arms-length, you understand.  Being the main ski procurement researcher and buyer of the household.  I happen to know that Freeride Magazine and Powder Magazine recently released their 2012 test report issues.  Freeride rated a couple of Dynastar skis as being their top-ranked, citing their general excellence in all criteria.  Powder gave a glowing review to an Icelantic model (can't recall which one) -- Icelantic skis are consistently excellent.  Those two magazine issues are well worth checking out, as there is a lot of info in there.  Hopefully they're still on the news stand.

And, as Jim said, by all means visit the Realskiers website for "quick" reviews, or pay a small subscription fee for more detailed ones.  They have reviews of the big brands, and rate at least one park ski for each of them.  Then they also review smaller freeski makers like 4Frnt, Movement, Moment, Line, etc..

So, there are some resources for you to check out.  Sorry I couldn't help more, but good luck in the hunt.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 02:42:53 pm by Svend »

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:09:50 am »
no ski will stand up to rails that long. Just get the cheapest ones you can and plan to buy another pair before the end of the season. Once ski for me becomes a rail ski it only last a couple months at best.

new skis>used skis>rock skis>rail skis

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 05:16:04 pm »
Max it so dependent on the skier and what park skiing is to them

I am interested any more because its kinda of fun and very few Level 3 have ever had any experience in it so I get the lessons. so I am kinda of out of the loop.

Pipe - Full camber,stiff 20ish meter side cut directional
Park - full camber, moderately soft center mount to nearly center mount, symmetrical tip and tail
Rails - Rocker sometimes full rocker, really soft, center mount, sysmmetrical tip and tail