Author Topic: What else? Ski (length) advice...  (Read 563 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: What else? Ski (length) advice...
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:17:29 pm »
I have heard excellent things about the Elan 82 Waveflex.  My brother skis the Waveflex 12 from 2 years back, and loves them.  There is a lot of performance in a user-friendly package.  The 82 is supposed to be powerfull, but still easy to handle at slower speed.  Sorry, I don't know much about Atomic skis.

I agree with LP about the boots -- that is where the greater emphasis should be when starting out.  Worry about getting the boots right first, and then focus on some great skis.  The good news is you can get a narrow performance fit without having to get a super-stiff boot.  Boot makers have smartened up in recent years, and are finally making stiff boots for wide-footed skiers, and softer boots for those with narrow feet.  They've got all the bases covered, so there is no reason to go for a wider boot, thinking that is the only way to be comfortable.  You say you have narrow feet, so get a narrow boot that is comfortable and matches your foot anatomy best.  The latest models of boots really are much better fitting anatomically, too, than in previous years.  There have been some significant improvements in fit and performance, which is all good stuff.  A good shop with a skilled bootfitter will get them fitting perfectly -- all day comfort and warmth, and great performance too.  Some brands to check out, that have narrow boots but softer flexes (98mm last width; around 100 flex) are Lange, Tecnica, Dalbello, Salomon and Atomic.  In the latter, if you want to stick with that brand, there is the Atomic Burner 100 which looks like a great choice.  My wife looked at the women's version of the same boot -- the Medusa 110 -- and was most impressed by the quality and fit.

Good luck, and I hope this was helpful.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:25:13 pm by Svend »