Author Topic: What else? Ski (length) advice...  (Read 557 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: What else? Ski (length) advice...
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:04:13 pm »
Avatar 335, Welcome to the Real Skiers Public site. And glad you are returning to skiing. Several on the site, including me, took extended periods away, and, found it was great fun again.

Do you ski primarily in W. Va? Some members here ski there also.

When considering a ski choice, I'd ask if you prefer to make short linked turns or are a more of a high speed cruiser. Of your choices, the Atomic at 77mm waist should turn better. I am a fan of Elan carving skis and that ski should be slightly better at cruising type turns as it's 82 waist. I've not demo'd either the Atomic or the Elan. Honestly, there is not that much difference between the waist sizes, but I think the Elan has more upside performance as you get back on skis. If you are more of a turner, you could consider going to a ski with a waist somewhere closer to 70 mm. There is still plenty of speed performance and edge hold in that width.

There are so many options, I'm sure it's confusing to you. If you an find a demo day at a local area that would be worthwhile as you can get on several skis in a day.

The other question is what boots are you using, as the mantra is to put your initial $$$ into good performing boots.

At your height and weight, you may like either ski in a 165, maybe a 170.