Author Topic: Another Ski Death: Jamie Pierre  (Read 487 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Another Ski Death: Jamie Pierre
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 09:44:34 am »
....but sometimes I seem to draw my biggest personal parallel to...yup.....Wily Coyote!  ;D

Ha! I can see it now -- a garage full of failed Acme gadgets.....catapul ts, electromagnets and iron pellets, 16 ton weights, rocket roller skates.....and still no Road Runner on the dinner plate!  Poor Gary  :'(   Keep trying bud....you'll catch him some day......  ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 09:59:48 am »
Ah to know me...

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 10:00:55 am »
Svend: I kind of missed John's point. I took away the aspect of the individual making a decision that sort of turned his back on the potential glamour world.
But you are right, his sales pitch of "no money, but I'll make you famous" would be tremendously alluring to many if not most.

Bushwacka: if Warren Miller approached you with such a deal, what would you ask and what would you answer.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 10:14:45 am »
Jim - Warren Miller was willing to film which he wouldnt. I would be ok with getting nothing.

The reason why he wouldnt though is because while I feel I can ski really well, I am not someone who is willing to do jumps much over 20 feet. Just as I bet most of his big mountain people he films were much more ballsy well before ever getting on film.

whats sad is I have never gotten hurt from any cliffs, I had my first skiing ER visit skiing on a ungroomed closed green slope when I slammed into a water bar that the last 2 runs I pre jumped with no problem. Torn apart shoulder that I am waiting to get surgery on till this day. Never hit the ground so hard skiing. 

beastieboy

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 09:15:45 pm »
Bushwacka,

I hear you on the waterbars.  I was taking an 'easy day' last winter at Pico with one of the kids and completely misjudged a water bar.  As I plowed into the ground, I had visions of a 747 with no landing gear plowing into a beach.  It hurt to breath for the rest of the week.  Really enhanced my desire not to whack anything with my ribs for the rest of the week.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder.  If you are willing to try a different approach, a book that I recommend is 'Pain Free' by Pete Egoscue.  The exercises are really simple, and you don't think they will do anything, but they seem to have a magical ability to stop pain from old injuries (and I have a lot of them).  It has worked the majority of the time for people who try the exercises.

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 12:00:12 am »
yeah I am missing ligiments currently, so no amount of exercise is going to reattach them.