Author Topic: Mtn. bike tire advice needed  (Read 1496 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Mtn. bike tire advice needed
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 11:45:53 am »
I should have mentioned, those tires were at three different shops in the area, within a 30 min. drive or so.  Others a bit further away had nothing worthwhile making the trip for....more Bontragers, an IRC.  Late season, low inventory, I guess.

I will keep an eye on some online shops over the coming months and see what comes up.  I'm quite interested in experimenting with different tires, now that we've had this discussion here.  Want to try swapping them out occasionally and see what works best in this area, and in different seasons.  Getting good deals makes this painless to do if something doesn't work out.

EDIT:  I am actually considering getting a used set of wheels for my bike, just to put a second set of tires on so I can do a quick swap.  One set with narrow, fast rollers for the rail trail rides, like an SB8 or Slant Six, or even a 1.5" cross tire; and the second set with proper 2.2" or 2.3" trail tires. 

Like I said, we should have a tire swap thing going here....  ;D  Anyone want some Bontragers?  ::)

As for winter riding, no I don't do that.  I like the change of seasons, with it a change of sports.  I'll ride the single track when the ground is frozen -- love those cold, frosty days in the woods -- but not when there is snow on the ground.  I'm thinking of taking up nordic skiing this winter, as the same park where we go mtn. biking has excellent XC ski trails.....same routes, actually, on the double-track bike trails.  Should be great for a quick snow fix when we can't make it to the mountain.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:51:51 pm by Svend »