Author Topic: Wider skis for my wife?  (Read 2401 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Wider skis for my wife?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 11:00:09 am »

Mike...no, I don't go to Jackson with G & A, but my wife does  8)  Me, I have to stay home with our daughters. 

And thanks for the insight re. the mid-80 width.  Interesting feedback, and you're the first here to actually say so outright. 

Svend,

It does not compute in my brain that my wife would be in Jackson while I look after daughters. You are a far better husband than I. And, again, note to self - Return to Jackson and ski with G & A.

Let me put some more words around my thinking. In the 5 years since returning to skiing, I've been west for 30 days. Once, I skied in an above knee dump. Maybe 6 to 8 days days, I've skied more than boot high, and, that's the range that I would argue is well within the capability of a high 80's ski, especially if it's designed for soft snow. I do not suggest an 85 would be as capable as a 100 in these conditions, but, how much easier the fatter ski performs is a question involving the competence of the  individual skier. The phrase "good, better and best" comes to mind - pick the level you can live with.  Also, as pow gets tracked out, the crossover advantages of a narrower ski begin to surface. There are pro's and con's and we all get to apply our own values. There is so much buzz this season about certain 100's, and, the hype will be present in future years for other skis.

So, I'm in agreement that the "wow" factor would have to be present to make a change.