Author Topic: Ski Jacket Recommendations  (Read 4069 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Ski Jacket Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 08:17:13 am »
Suggestion. 

Use anti-perspirant on your hands!!  I've heard of people doing this for their feet with great success, but never considered it for hands or other sweat prone locations.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 07:11:55 am »

This is exactly my problem too. I sweat  a lot, especially my hands. Not surprisingly my kids have inherited the sweaty gene. Hands get cold and then the whining begins  :(

This DryQ Elite/OutDry might be worth the extra $ for me. Is Mountain Hardware/Coumbia the only mfr which has these improved fabrics or do others have them too under their own proprietary name?

Just to get the names correct, MH gloves use the "Outdry" name, while MH jackets and pants use the DryQ Elite name/process. It's confusing.

With Outdry gloves, it's not so much the fabrics, it's the process where the water proof material is bonded to the surface material. The magic is how they bond it to seamed areas, and, gloves are the most difficult to seal all the seams. While I bought the new MH gloves, the motivating factor was my old were trash by season's end, so, it just made sense to give the new technology a try. I am always dubious of manufacturer's claims, we'll see. I'll do review after a few days on the actual slopes.

I think Jim's thought of trying a anti-perspiration fluid to your palms is very much worth trying. In winter, it may dry skin out too much

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 09:43:31 am »
oooooooouuuuuuuuuu    :'(  Deodorant on the hands...it also might distort the aromatic quality of the excellent ski food we devour!

Maybe Jim...some ultra thin silk liners to wick away?

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 09:57:57 am »
oooooooouuuuuuuuuu    :'(  Deodorant on the hands...it also might distort the aromatic quality of the excellent ski food we devour!

Gary,
Read carefully. He's suggesting others try it!!
So they can let every one else here know if it works or not! :P

Someone here was revved up by the new ski jacket topic and pulled the trigger on a new
Obermeyer on sale from last year!

OP may not have a new jacket yet, but his thread is certainly helping the economy. :D

L.
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 10:01:43 am »

Gary:  I said anti-perpirant, not deodorant.  I don't care if your hands stink,  :(  I just don't want them freezing from getting sweaty and then getting cold and causing a chilly and early end of the day.
___________________ __________________

Obermeyer hasn't been an admired brand on my part, but it caught my eye, was half price, and said 20,000 on the tech info just like Gary said for his jacket.  It has vents that wrap from the ribs around to the back that can be managed with one hand and all the requisite pockets without getting carried away.  I sent my fashion consultant a picture and she approved the fit and the color. Now I'm looking for a gray pair of pants.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:09:45 am by jim-ratliff »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 10:13:07 am »
Jim...let's be clear...my hands do not stink and the next time we get together, I would be happy to put them up to your delicate nose for the sniff test. AND besides...if my hands get cold and the gloves are not meeting the mandatory demand of the day....you know i got backups...why of course!  ;D

Ok anti persp....on the hands...very unnatural but of course this is the 21st Century and I must learn to grow with all new movements.  ::)

Hmmmm Lynn,....can we hear more of this new Ski Jacket you speak?

Now Jim...let's get back to your stinky shweatty mitts....did you poo poo the silk liners already?

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 11:10:04 am »
Not a fan of silk. I think that Smart Wool works better in almost every application than silk, and washes much better.  silk seems to pile very quickly.

You haven't had a good night sleep until you've used Smart Wool sheets on a cold winters night.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 12:03:57 pm »
Smart wool or silk....

Ladies (all 2 of them)....would you rather sleep on silk or wool even if the wool is smart?  :o

Besides....just the name wool makes me itch!  ;D

Jim...and the color of this new jacket is????? We'll have to compare breathabiliy!

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 01:54:51 pm »
No silk sheets for me.
Hmm, I think I prefer IceBreaker sheets. Higher sheep count than smartwool. ;D
"Play it Sam"

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2011, 03:40:14 pm »
If you use gloves without a removable liner I recommend that you use a very thin glove liner with them.  That thin liner will absorb most of the sweat/oil from your hands.  Then you can wash the liners.  This not only helps extend the life of your gloves, but it actually keeps them warmer over time.  Once the fixed liner in an older pair of gloves absorbs enough hand perspiration it no longer keeps your hands as warm.  Of course packing out the gloves also works to eliminate warmth, but I don't think many skiers consider what the sweat and dirt are doing to their gloves on the inside.  This was pointed out to me many years ago and I've never looked back.

I use the Patagonia Capilene liners with my gloves.  I've also tried to only purchase gloves with removable liners if they're available.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 04:02:25 pm »
Cute Lynn....I see you as a Icebreaker kinda gal....whatever the sheep count!  :o

AND thank you HighAngles...Jim thought I was just blowing smoke...

There it is Jim...capaline liners...can we do a test here...?

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2011, 08:23:49 am »
No silk sheets for me.
Hmm, I think I prefer IceBreaker sheets. Higher sheep count than smartwool. ;D

Hmmm.

[Attachment removed after 60 days]

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2011, 10:40:31 am »

thanks Max.  I'm glad to hear another voice so that it's OK not to like the feel of having a liner, because I just don't.. 

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 05:22:11 pm »
Suggestion. 

Use anti-perspirant on your hands!!  I've heard of people doing this for their feet with great success, but never considered it for hands or other sweat prone locations.

Jim,  I tried your suggestion this Sunday after confronting moist gloves on Saturday.  For my hands, the effect was minimal, much less noticeable than on my feet.