Author Topic: The Leaf Blower TR - Stowe, Vt  (Read 430 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Re: The Leaf Blower TR - Stowe, Vt
« on: November 12, 2011, 01:52:38 pm »
Svend,

Big tires run tubeless with PSI under 30 is good advice (put them on a flow rim is even better!).

Full Suspension is nice but I gave it up completely a few years ago and haven't looked back.  But, I always tell folks to buy a Full Suspension bike.

Riding rough terrain:

1. In addition to what Bush said, practice balancing (keeping all your weight) on the balls of your feet and steer, move the bike from that point of contact (yes even when pedaling)..too often in rough sections we tend to put weight on our hands, or offset by tensing up out quads and hamstrings..but just like skiing, when you stand on the bike, stay centered and find that center WITH YOUR FEET.  The pedals aren't just for pedaling.

2. Remember, wheels work best when they are rolling (especially big wheels), and they roll best in a straight line.  When ascending, descending, or traversing the rougher terrain stay as straight as possible, even when confronted with jagged rocks, off-camber roots and square edge hits and grooves.  Just pedal to keep your momentum, find your balance over the balls of your feet, relax, allow your body to absorb and move along.  Any little giggling, or handlebar manipulation to scurry through toothy sections works against the design of your bike, get rid of those, find your center over your feet and keep moving in as straight (or if the trail is curved 'direct') a line as possible.

We have miles of hilly chunder around here.  I spent a long time getting these skills under my belt.

Liam