Author Topic: Goals for the Upcoming Season!  (Read 1581 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Goals for the Upcoming Season!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 09:07:45 am »
Great message Jim....sometimes we forgot how REALLY good we have it!

With where my skiing is today...2 SUBTLE things I continue to focus on are:

Subtle Ski Triggers
1)Skiing in the future, after completing a turn, turning the head (in the direction of the next turn) to look down the mountain for the next few or more turns, prepares my mind. It tells it "I see where I'm going, I own it". By taking that concern out of the equation, the body is one level closer to smooth, more relaxed and rhythmic movements. The mind effectively tells my body where it's going.

2)The pole touch is my other trigger that helps eliminate static body movement or tense reactions. If the pole touch is timed correctly, again the body relaxes, the body responds and the movements into to the next turn flow more smoothly. The pole plant for me is the key that starts the engine.

Preparing for my major skiing movements with the subtle ones I find the mechanics of the turn are connected, efficient and totally satisfying.  :D  :D

Best, g

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 06:59:45 am »
....just taking time to reflect and enjoy what would be easy to take for granted.!!

Couldn't agree more! Well said. 

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 08:53:28 am »
Having said that, on the technical side, I would like to work on five things:

1) Getting comfortable in chop, heavy crud, pushed around snow on steep slopes.  I'm fine in that stuff if it's not too steep, and conversely I'm comfortable on steeps if it's groomed, but the combination of the two clenches the sphincters and makes me regress into stiff, non-fluid motions and indecision as to the best line to take for the next turns.  Not good  ::)

2) Looking way farther ahead...or skiing more in the future, as Gary calls it.

3) Working on refining my pole plants, and using them as an integral part of smooth turns and as a major tool for bumps, crud, etc..

4) More fluid, fully-completed turns when I ski on hard snow on my Progressors.  For some reason I don't have this problem when I ski my Mythics, and my turns are more measured, deliberate, fluid.  But on my Progressors I seem to rush the turn completion and transitions too much, and the result is somewhat jerky motions.  Time to slow things down and work on patience.

5) Relax! All the time.  Under all conditions (see nos. 1 and 4, above).  This will help me get more fluid. 

Helpful tips or advice on any of the above always gratefully accepted.   8)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:55:11 am by Svend »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 09:03:11 am »
One of the things as I've improved I find my whole body and mind can relax more because skill sets are not forced but just reactionary. More time working on drills and playing in the terrain bring on that confidence. I always believed if you can do it slow.....you can do it fast....relaxed and in control.

Svend having skied with you for a few years, it's been great to see how much you have improved due to proper equipment, a great focus to accomplish your ski goals and the fact that you're willing to challenge yourself to steeper and 3D terrain.

Finding that relaxation point (of body and mind) that you have on blue groomers and having that same feeling in steeper and more complex terrain comes with mastering skills and building confidence.....and having the heart of a lion like your wife Terryl!  :o ;D

This season is going to be another great one indeed! G

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 09:19:06 am »
Thanks G! A lot of my improvement has come because of your advice and coaching, and for that I am very thankful.  I really appreciate it, and it has been immensely helpful.

As you point out, skiing is very much a mind-over-matter sport, and relaxation and confidence comes with both physical practice and mental training.  Being conscious and aware of that factor really helps to keep it in the forefront of my mind when I'm out there and working on skills.  It's something I've been trying to do all summer on my mountain bike, and it has really helped me up my skills on the singletrack. 

There are a lot of parallels between the two sports, actually, and a relaxed attitude is key to keeping the bike on the trail and not crashing into a tree.  Light hands and relaxed arms at all times, otherwise you're toast.  Forcing myself to relax is a skill that should be most helpful when I hit the slopes this winter.

But I do agree that having the right gear that performs and is well-suited to the skier makes it all soooo much easier.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:22:29 am by Svend »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 09:32:02 am »
Thanks Svend....and yes....crashing into a tree in either sport....

Definetely NOT good!  :o

HeluvaSkier

• Consider me the reason you should pay attention...
  • Instructor
  • 100 Posts
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 09:53:59 am »
Thanks Svend....and yes....crashing into a tree in either sport....

Definetely NOT good!  :o

Yeah... it hurts.   :-X
All-Mountain: A common descriptive term for boots or skis that are designed to perform equally poorly under a variety of conditions and over many different types of terrain.

beastieboy

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 10:14:38 pm »
Bushwacka,

You are bringing back good memories on the derby.  Fun race.  I wouldn't worry too much about what happens once you get into the woods - all the glory is on the downhill.  I had some top 50 finishes there back in college (early 80s).  Of course, I also broke a lot of equipment and finished bleeding from multiple locations from crashing on death cookies, which are much more difficult to handle on xc equipment than they are on alpine.  The video is a blast.  Didn't see as many bodies strewn around the hill and head sized craters as the last time I did it, but the  video of passing people snowplowing certainly bought back memories.  It definitely helps to get a seeded bib if you want to have a good time!

On the question of whether running sub 6 minute miles will help you on the uphill - it can't hurt.  On the other hand, I've long been a believer that the best way to go fast uphill is.... practice going fast uphill.  There really isn't anything quite like vertical.

For goals... Hmm.

Have fun.

Relax.

Get better.

Repeat.

I love winter.  Sigh.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 06:56:25 am »
Bushwacka,

On the question of whether running sub 6 minute miles will help you on the uphill - it can't hurt.  On the other hand, I've long been a believer that the best way to go fast uphill is.... practice going fast uphill.  There really isn't anything quite like vertical.

Specificity of training!!  Train for what you want to do.

Although maybe biking up-hill would be good cross training for running up hill.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:37:12 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 08:30:43 am »
Some have suggested that my previous goals were, let's just say, stretch goals.

My #1 is to ski more with friends, some of whom I have not met yet. I did about 30 days last year and I like to expand that to 35. Not easy in a 3 month season while avoiding weekend crowds. #1A is to stay healthy and be better conditioned. I'm returning to the Epic Gathering at Tahoe, really considering joining Gary on his late January Holimount experience. Would love to revist Stowe for more than one day.

#2 is to clean up my carving. My home mountain has a pitchy headwall, normally "hard pack" (read between the lines on that one ie icey). I skid out too much, want to leave tracks. Technically, I'm convinced I spend too much time in the backseat. Get some video is a priority.

#3 is to spend more time in bigger mountains and in less groomed terrain. Learn to let go and just ski it. S/E Pa. does not have this stuff, so, gotta hit the road.

#4 is to continue to just look around when riding chairs and be thankful for being able to live a life where I can just suck all the great views, conversations and experiences shared with friends. There is nothing quite like the skiing.

HeluvaSkier

• Instructor
  • 100 Posts
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 11:37:44 pm »
LP - if you can link clean SL turns down your home mountain's head wall you can ski anything.
All-Mountain: A common descriptive term for boots or skis that are designed to perform equally poorly under a variety of conditions and over many different types of terrain.

HeluvaSkier

• Instructor
  • 100 Posts
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 11:58:12 pm »
3. Ski better everywhere.

My main goal for the season [aside from kicking ass and taking names] is to out-ski myself in every way. I want to completely blow away the skiing I have been doing the last few seasons - take my skiing to a whole new level, well beyond what I've done previously. I spent last season searching for something in my skiing, and I think I found it at the end of the season. This season will put it to the test.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 07:18:10 am »
Ok..so this might sound a bit weird...but..

I learned (late in my skiing life) a couple of years ago that finding the south facing trails in the morning and the north facing trails in the afternoon for holding best snow conditions makes for sweet skiing all day.

So....with that intellectual tidbit, I purchased a small compass to keep in my ski jacket. At large resorts, with the sun hidden or clouds, or being in the valley between ridges, it would be great to be able to seek out the best snow.

Not sure if it will be beneficial but it's one of the goals I'm going to experiment with.

8)

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 02:10:49 pm »
Gary:  Trail maps often have an arrow that points which way north is as well.   ;D

You should also carry a whistle in case you get separated from your group, right Lynn??  :-*   Ohhhh, and waterproof matches in case you wind up having to spend the night in the woods.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 03:36:02 pm »
LP - if you can link clean SL turns down your home mountain's head wall you can ski anything.

LP,  here's a related comment on your goal.  Pay particular attention to the last sentence -- in perfect sync with Heluva's comment.

Postby Harald ? Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:02 am
<snip>
It takes a higher level of commitment to really lay it over and angle the ski on real ice and steeps. If you can do that you can ski anything. I mean it, the level of athletic ability, strength, resolve, physical preparation and guts it takes to make a hip to the snow carve on steep icy slopes, has no equal. Valdez is a joke compared to that.
<snip>