Author Topic: Well, I bought...a new ski!  (Read 763 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Well, I bought...a new ski!
« on: September 24, 2011, 07:59:40 am »
Time to fess up.

After taking the position all year that I was not going to get a new ski until I went west and did some demo'ing, I caved-in to soft snow ski lust! The winner is:

Dynastar Legend Sultan 94, 184 cm.

Gregmerz had them listed on Epic and dropped his price to a point where lust overcame logic! :o Greg and I have the same boot sole length, and, Philpug had a pair of Marker Griff's to match the holes in Greg's ski, so it was a no-brainer.

Here's what Svend said last year:
Dynastar Sultan 94, 2011, 184 length, sidecut 132-94-118, R20
Looking to see if I could trade up a length on the Sultan 85, I went back to the rental shop at Louise but all they had in a 184 was the Sultan 94.? "Go for it!" said Gary. So what the heck, let's try 'em.? Totally different in feel to the 85's.? Longer, wider, stiffer, more damp, slower initiation, more power in the tails.? Not as quick and agile, as expected, but no slouch -- still easy to turn, go where pointed -- but just more deliberate and measured in their pace.? This is a stronger, damper ski than the 85, more solid and weighty underfoot.? Very fluid and smooth, very stable at speed.? Surprisingly good edge grip on hard snow groomers (I was amazed at how I could carve on a 94 waisted ski...never expected that), blew through crud like nothing there, great float and steering in soft snow ( I noticed and appreciated the longer turn radius over the 85's).? I loved them.? Very similar in feel to my Mythic Riders at 178 -- in fact, I'll bet if I had skied these in the same length, I would hardly be able to tell them apart.? This is a big compliment coming from me, as my Mythics are one of my favourite skis ever.? Summary:? another winner, and for the right skier with the weight and/or energy to arc these, a smooth, stable, powerful ride; excellent in soft snow and crud; great edge grip; surprisingly good on groomers.? Perhaps lacking a bit of spark and liveliness, but still most impressive.? (Can you tell I like Dynastar skis?? 8))

Philpug skied them early last season as Tahoe crud ski, gave them good reviews, and then fell in love with Blizzard's flip cores. Greg said he never bonded with Sultan 94, and, is also going to new Blizzards. Hmmm....maybe a future purchase here.

So, for a very minor investment, I will get to spend some time on the Sultan's prior to using them in the snow for which they are designed. I think that is important as it's better to know how equipment performs prior to taking into difficult terrain. Not a true powder ski, but, it fills the quiver hole I needed.

And, here's some Sultan 94 Stoke - I'm dreaming this is me!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: Well, I bought...a new ski!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 08:44:49 am »
Sounds like you bought them right. When you can buy great skis at a great price, you pretty much have to do it!! Congrats!! Even if you never "bond" with them you can sell them and not lose a lot. Enjoy.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 01:45:30 pm »
Hey LP -- well done, sir! Congrats.  I really hope you connect with them, and enjoy them as much as I did.  I wouldn't hesitate a moment to buy those, and when it comes time to replace my Mythics, they are on the top of the list.

If I may ask, how tall and heavy you are? I am 6'2", 220lbs, and the ski in a 184 felt just perfect for me on a big mountain like Louise.  Completely at home and confidence-inspiring.  Go anywhere, do anything kind of feel. 

Great choice, and wishing you many fun turns on those.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 02:02:27 pm »

LP: congratulations!!

Guess you never know when a past ski review is going play a role in someone's buying decision.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 03:35:13 pm »
I should add that my wife skied the woman's version of these for a full day at Jackson Hole last season, after a 12" dump, and was thoroughly impressed.  Same kind of impressions that I had wrt. performance.  Yet another "two-thumbs-up" for a great ski.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 07:47:49 am »

If I may ask, how tall and heavy you are? I am 6'2", 220lbs, and the ski in a 184 felt just perfect for me on a big mountain like Louise. 

Svend,
Time has reduced my height to 6'1" and biking has my weight down to 195, so we are both big persons. I'm thinking it should be fine big mountain and I like your exuberance about the Sultan 94.

All,
The thought has come to me that instead of doing the Marker's, get the adjustable Tyrolia system. Greg had them mounted +1, reviews seem to indicate "on the mark" works well, as a soft snow ski perhaps -1 should work. I've argued that others consider an adjustable binding system, but, that may make more sense in an undrilled ski. I don't have any concerns about a second drilling. Am I over-thinking this?

BTW, this is the second set of skis I bought from Greg, the other is my Supershapes. He takes very good care of his "children".

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 08:41:39 am »
LP -- most other skis that I have tried or owned have worked best at +1 or at the BOF-CRS point (Fischer, Head).  However, all the Dynastars that I have skied (my Mythics, 4x4, Cross, Sultan 85 and 94) have had the best balance at the default center mark.  This leads me to believe that Dynastar sets their center marks farther forward than other manufacturers.  As it happens, on my Mythics, this mark is almost exactly at the BOF-CRS point.  Nice.

So, you are right in concluding that setting the binding at the zero mark should work best.

BTW, I have only skied Dynastars which have had the Fluid adjustable binding system, and I really like it.  Not just for the adjustment possibilities, but also for their performance.  They have a snug locked-in feel that seems to transmit power and energy to the ski very well.  Edge feel is excellent -- crisp, accurate, no slop, makes the boot feel like part of the ski....if you know what I mean.  For this reason, I much prefer the Fluid system over the Railflex.

Just my 2 cents.....hope it helps.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 08:55:27 am »

I read once that most of the Austrian ski manufacturers had mounting points that were father back than most of the French manufacturers, so that sounds consistent with what Svend is saying.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 09:15:24 am »
Ditto on the railflex bindings for ease if use, BSL adjustment and the +1.5mm -1.5mm fore aft adjustment. Other options that will work as well are the new Tyrolia Power Rails (less stand height so less tipping leverage hence less good IMO) and the marker schizo's which may fit into the holes that are drilled. Marker also makes some good adjustable bindings that might also fit in the holes and these would allow you to play with the fore aft positioning of the bindings as well. IMO a sceond set of holes is also fine.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 11:46:47 am »
Guys, the Dynastar Fluid bindings are dead-easy to adjust for fore-aft position and BSL.  Just flip a lever and slide the toe piece to the indicated mark for your BSL; repeat for the heel piece.  If you want to adjust to +/- from center, just move toe and heel forward or back a corresponding number of notches on the plate, and yer done.  Perhaps not quite as easy as the Railflex, in that you have to move toe and heel separately, but still a cinch for anyone with decent vision to count the notches.  I have done this trail-side many times, with gloves on.  No screwdriver needed.  Takes less than a minute per ski.

As confirmation that you have it right, there is a very clear forward pressure indicator in the heel piece -- a sliding yellow or green bar in a little window; when the bar is visible anywhere in the window, you're good.  Very unambiguous, and almost impossible to get it wrong.

Stand height is also respectable -- not sure how it compares to a RF or PR binding, but I find they have good leverage.  The Fluid plate is similar to the RF plate, in that it provides some amount of lift.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:21:30 pm by Svend »

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 02:19:52 pm »
Sounds like an excellent option.

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 09:58:54 pm »
Sucker!!!
Only a fool buys a ski just because its a good deal.   

:-*
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 06:56:55 am »
Sucker!!!

Ouch! Hmmm, birthday's have not mellowed you out yet.

Actually, I bought them because Philpug said good things about them. And he always tells the truth, right? :-X

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 10:18:00 am »
Sucker!!!

Ouch! Hmmm, birthday's have not mellowed you out yet.

Actually, I bought them because Philpug said good things about them. And he always tells the truth, right? :-X

Well of course!  He says good things about me, doesn't he?

Thought you'd love that little jab  :-*
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 11:34:17 am »
Mike, so thrilled for ya. My friend Paul bought a pair last season (he's your approx your height and weight) when we were skiing at Deer Valley...Had 8-10 of moist new snow and we stood at a gate, dove in and he just loved how they handled. On the groomers, they ripped, broken snow they crushed and pow they floated.....awesome choice. I'm sure you're going to love them. Paul compared them with the Rossi S3 and thought the Sulton was a stronger carver.

All the best...hope to make some turns with YOU riding those bad boys!

Best, G

PS....absolutely loved the video you posted...got me thinking dearly about being THERE!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:37:32 am by Gary »