Author Topic: Section 8 Ski school?  (Read 1548 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Re: Section 8 Ski school?
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2011, 04:33:26 am »
Midwif,

I think each skier is showing a different 'task' as that's the M.O. of those National instruction systems--I guess the one with the long hair drew the short straw!.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2011, 06:53:29 am »
Old thread...but this update is worth it.

I came across this recent video of Tobin from section 8 working on some preseason carving at Hintertux (Heluva posted this on Epic under the thread dynamic skiing)

It starts a little slow, but stay with it and you'll see some high quality CSIA carving.  Of all the videos on Section 8, the carving demo was the weakest (not bad, just not strong)...apparently, Tobin took that to heart and got something better up there.

FWIW, Tobin, as an internet participant, seems to be a good, self-effacing guy who still seeks earnestly to improve his already high level skiing.  In addition to the Section 8 website, he posts as Skinerd over on Epic.   IMHO-he is the best skier and instructor there, and curiously, the most humble...go figure.  here's the video (when coupled with his Section 8 videos on Steeps and Trees paints a great portrait of a good skiing instructor):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzCKL4tQQw&feature=youtu.be

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2011, 11:02:59 am »
Great video -- enjoyed it, and some nice skiing there.  I'll definitely check back and look at some of the others.  Thanks for posting that. 

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2011, 08:34:59 am »
Liam,

Good bump. I, too, like Skinerd's openness  and lack of ego in the Epic threads, it seems like he's simply interested in improving. Some very nice skiing on the glacier, I sure don't approach his competency.

I did smile at one Epic post stating that if  you can't make a turn showing the same body positions that Helluvaskier can get into, then you should not be commenting on what is good ski technique. In digging through the Epic threads, I came across the below discussion of the CSIA "form follows function" concept of teaching skiing. It's a little long and not real concise, but, one does get a flavor.

My sense is that to understand CSIA's concepts, one has to do a lot more study to understand the definitions and intent of the overviews. Not surprising as simple systems are just too limited. A good ski turn is a very choreographed sequence, and, there is a lot to get right. The "ying / yang" at work: simple concepts that have much depth to fully develop. My 2 days on skis this year are living proof that there's a major gap between my goals and my competencies. Carving is much closer to skidding to-date.

Still, I prefer the PMTS concept of teaching movements. It's just clearer in my brain as to what I'm trying to accomplish on the hill. To each his or her (I hate being politically correct in writing) own, not preaching or ranting, but movements are simpler to understand.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2011, 09:20:56 am »
LP,

No worries about being PC--I happen to agree that PMTS's reliance on describing actual, specific movements as the basis of their teaching is perhaps it's greatest achievement, and certainly a reason to laud the approach, and point out how few other systems approach that level of functional clarity.  PMTS deserves all props on that account.  No one can (credibly) argue that.

All that said, I like Skinerd/ Tobin's skiing a lot, as well as his approach to learning, and I am curious to know more about how he teaches skiing (after all, he runs a ski camp/ school.).