Author Topic: Section 8 Ski school?  (Read 1549 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Section 8 Ski school?
« on: September 15, 2011, 11:01:03 am »

I'm going to X-Post over on Epic as well

Anyone know who these guys are and has anyone skied with them or looked into their videos (or ever skied Mt. Washington on Vancouver Island???-Never knew there was ski area there!)

They have a bunch of 'quick tip videos...similar to the 'go with a pro' type stuff.  I just think the guy in this video, tobin, is a pretty rippin' skier and The terrain he's tackling has that 'real-world' expert skiing quality (remind me of the steep trees at magic).  Check it out-I'd be interested into looking into what else they do.

I have to say, the videos I've seen of the top Canadian (level 4) CSIA skiers-like JF Beaulieu-are very impressive.  The have some great stuff going on in their ski teaching system.

Trees
http://www.youtube.com/user/section8ski#p/u/4/CTx641FEPBc

Steep trees:

http://www.youtube.com/user/section8ski#p/u/8/htMNptqCFRQ

Bumps:
http://www.youtube.com/user/section8ski#p/u/2/bRCiAvdyBIQ

And for those who like this-Carving:

http://www.youtube.com/user/section8ski#p/u/11/eWyhB47yAqc

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Section 8 Ski school?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 11:45:53 am »
Liam....don't know those ski areas or the school...but whoa...Tobin has got a rippin good short turn down.

He was very smooth in the trees, bumps and anywhere on the fall line. He ski's with such confidence and control at those  speeds...

Inspiring stuff...thanks for posting it.

G

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:12:31 pm »
Liam,

Good find and thanks for sharing. The video just makes me want to go skiing and it made my day. Tobin rips it up pretty good, nice and fluid.

Let me admit that it's hard for me to get into any analysis of how good a technical skier he is and/or if he is using correct movements. I've studied the same program for 5 years, and, letting go of my paradigm requires a lot of mental concentration. I can't jump on skis and evaluate the advice. Last season, I spent a lot of development of Harald's "no swing pole plant" and it's more complete, and complicated, than his "reaching downhill in steep terrain". Pushing my feet forward in the icy bumps we get in So. Pa. requires a leap of faith.

I find myself just wanting to accept and enjoy....that's a good thing...and needed. I've never quite gotten into ski **** as most is a level I will never ski at and/or terrain that would mean my last day. But watching a really good skier come down a hill is something I've always appreciated.

And, Bushwacker, sometime this winter, you should try a similar concept. Explain your "rotating skills turn" via a similar educational component, and, then demo what you are teaching. Who knows, you could grow up to be Harald's successor. :D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 01:17:38 pm »

Buswacka:  I would be interested in your analysis of his skiing.  If you were skiing with him, what would you have observed, what is he doing well, and what would you suggest he work on?

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 01:27:26 pm »
I'd also be interested in Bush's comments. 

LP-yeah the 'tips' are of a more general type and not the basis for learning what he's doing in those videos--that's why I was interested to see if there was more info on the Section 8 school.

As far as judging his skiing-hey, you've been working hard on good skiing (lessons, camps, practice, skiing, etc) for some years, I'd gather--you're probably as good as anyone to know what looks good.  After all, you don't have to be Wolfgang Puck to appreciate a good meal ;D

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 05:14:30 pm »
jim his skills are obviously there but the terrain he is on is not tree skiing.

He is well with in his comfort zone and to see what he needs to work on someone would have to get him out of his comfort zone. He also skis fairly slow and is not really pushing it. 

The biggest thing though is he is not tree skiing. Stowe and any east coast mountains are unique in how tight the line that get skied are. He is never passing with a couple feet of a tree let alone having to cross block smaller trees out of the way. In stowe we ski woods where literally we are never more than a ski length away from trees, you can not see your next turn, and sometime you have to cross block stuff out of the way.  What he is doing is not tree skiing.

tree skiing

My mentor and coach Matt Roberts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYl-0c28DXk&feature=related

Me and my roommate

stuff like 1:46 and 2:20 in this video. simply put most people do not have the confindence to cross block trees out of the way nor the skills. I Have run alot of SL gates.....

his skiing looks good and his tips are great, but IMO my opinion its nothing special and the terrain he is on is open compared to what I am capable of skiing.

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 05:17:41 pm »
he also would want to wear a helmet if he was to join me. I do not let people follow me with out a helmet/goggles.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 05:47:21 pm »
From the Section 8 Website, below is Tobin's bio:

Tobin Leopkey- Founder of Section 8, Program Director & Head Ski Coach, Tobin first became qualified as a ski instructor in 1992. He is currently an examiner for the Canadian Ski Instructor?s Alliance, a C.S.I.A. level IV certified instructor and holds the I.S.I.A. stamp. He graduated from the Canadian Outdoor Leadership Training program in 1998 and also holds certifications with the Canadian Ski Guide?s Association, Canadian Ski Coaches Federation, Canadian Avalanche Association and holds CSIA Terrain Park and Advanced Wilderness First-Aid qualifications.

Tobin grew up skiing the steep and deep tree lines on Vancouver Island but has been found teaching and participating in outdoor pursuits in various corners of the globe. He lived for many years in Whistler where he taught instructor training programs and skied as a member of the Whistler-Blackcomb Demonstration Team. He has trained everyone from aspiring instructors to Canada?s burly military personnel to young kids who have grown into world renowned freeskiers. Unable to ward off the irresistible allure of Vancouver Island Tobin and his wife, Kana moved to Courtenay BC to start Section 8? He looks forward to the day that he?ll be soon chasing his two young daughters Miyuki and Satsuki around the slopes.

Tobin and his gang of trusty ski and snowboard pros can?t wait to sculpt you into the ultimate snow rider, adventurer and leader.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 07:21:13 pm »
Bush,

I'll give you that the tree skiing video isn't typical vermont thickets--Fair enough.  The one I labeled 'Steep Trees" to be fair, is just called 'Tip for skiing steeps' by the section 8 guys and not a tree ski video.  I'm impressed with the level of skiing on that terrain (which, I referred to as 'real world expert skiing').  It's tight enough, steep enough and bumpy enough to warrant the name expert in any resort I've skied.

Also, I don't think this guy is trying to show how great of a skier he is by pushing the limits of his ability, nor should he here.  It's a 'quick tip' instructional/ lesson selling video after all.   

You know, Bush, I ski a fair amount up in Northern, VT (and plenty in Southern--and I'm talking about the backside of Magic and not Bromley  ;)).  I'm not the strongest in my crew, but more than a handful of my boys thread the thickets of the Green Mountains (and Cannon) similar to what you and your crew get up to.  It's impressive, but hardly unheard of--Especially among the boys under the age of 35 (half of whom are running tele now....which they preach on and on about...most overbearing guys in all of skidom are new tele Skiing converts! ;D).

I also admit...I like the terrain Tobin skis in these videos more than the dense undergrowth (that would frustrate Brer Rabbit) that is so prevalent in way-off piste New England.   

Don't get me wrong-I respect you slither-crazed bushwhackers-But my expert Tree preferences are a Little More Kinsman Glades at Cannon (Steep, a little bit of bushwhacking to get into them, plenty of trees and rocks but just enough room to link together completed turns around each one) and a little less...Global Warming Glade at Cannon (I can't even stand up straight for most of that run!).   You ski stowe, right?  Well, I've followed my buds (many who attended UVM-one was a raced there) through those thickets between Stowe and Smuggs, and the Waterfall, etc I enjoy the challenge of it, in a gritty mountain-biker kind of way, but not so much the skiing of it.

I'm more of a Lookout Glades/ Tre Amigo Glades (and Goat Glades-or whatever those are called to the left of Goat) when the conditions permit.

So I guess that's why the Section 8 stuff speaks to me.  Controlled energy on steeper, bumpy off-piste terrain with some trees and twists thrown in...that's what I aspire to. 

LP-The Bio of the Section 8 guy is pretty cool-thanks for linking that in-so he is one of those CSIA LvL 4's...they're like the Navy Seals of Ski School Hierarchy.  I'll say it again, something pretty good is happening over in the Canadian National Ski Instruction system..Maybe I'll drive up to Quebec and take a few lessons at Mount Saint Anne with that JF Beaulieu or head farther north to Le Massif (Best ski area east of the rockies btw!) for a lesson or two this winter.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 07:38:10 pm »

He is well with in his comfort zone and to see what he needs to work on someone would have to get him out of his comfort zone. He also skis fairly slow and is not really pushing it. 

The biggest thing though is he is not tree skiing.
BW:  I agree, he's skiing soft bumps that happen to be among the trees, but even I could ski some of those trees pretty well.

You turned it from him to how you ski.  What I was really wondering is, as a PSIA Level 3 instructor, what you look for and note in a person's skiing.  I look at him and say he looks "pretty good" but I don't have a particularly critical eye when looking other skiers.  I understand it's a pretty contrived exercise, was just curious what you noted and what you would generally look for.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:51:51 pm by jim-ratliff »

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 08:03:59 pm »

The biggest thing though is he is not tree skiing.
BW:  I agree, he's skiing soft bumps among the trees, but even I could ski some of those trees pretty well.

You turned it from him to how you ski.  What I was really wondering is, as a PSIA Level 3 instruction, what you look for and note in a person's skiing.  I look at him and say he looks "pretty good" but assume that you have a much more skilled eye when look at other skiers.  I understand its a pretty contrived example, was just curious.

the deal is I look at the overall big picture and do not really nick pick little things and in this case is just solid skiing. with out knowing his goals and intentions and what the terrain was really like my MA is just about as useless as anyone elses. with that disclaimer....

Carving turns-  solid pressure managment even knows how to "foot squirt" , his edging movements can be a little park and ride like but super short sidecut skis can make even the best skier park and ride.

steeps - strong approiate guiding of the skis prior to the fall line, he might be able to arc them but the terrain looks pretty steep. again what his is his intent? sometimes shows a lack of counter which will bite him in really steep and technical terrain.

more to come in a bit.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 08:06:37 pm »
Ha,  here's another video if Tobin--teaching how to do a Heli off a jump...actually, this one has more detailed instruction than the others.

http://www.youtube.com/user/section8ski#p/u/5/e4jeCgHcvBA

He's pretty smooth.

Interesting MA, Bush-

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 08:46:28 pm »
Not surprised that you like his skiing BW. His bump skiing is totally pivot based, which is something I think you continue to say you strive for in your skiing.

His carving is park and ride because he is not getting any tip pressure and his balance point is aft. It has nothing to do with the TR of the skis. He has no ability to bend the ski to tighten the arc (or at least he is not showing it in the video).

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 09:01:33 pm »
Josh:

Some of what I was looking for.

What is foot squirt?
What is "strong, appropriate guiding of the skis prior to the fall line."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:07:45 pm by jim-ratliff »

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 05:08:52 am »
Not surprised that you like his skiing BW. His bump skiing is totally pivot based, which is something I think you continue to say you strive for in your skiing.

His carving is park and ride because he is not getting any tip pressure and his balance point is aft. It has nothing to do with the TR of the skis. He has no ability to bend the ski to tighten the arc (or at least he is not showing it in the video).

Yeah, the carving video was similar to that Klaus Maier carving vid floating around the internet-I can take it or leave it.

I disagree  that his bump skiing is all pivot based. Some pivots, some pretty energetic rounder turns-and all of it smooth.  This is even more evident in the 'steep trees' video-which is still pretty bump based.