Author Topic: Northeast and New England ski area damage from Irene  (Read 379 times)

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Northeast and New England ski area damage from Irene
« on: August 29, 2011, 01:16:41 pm »
I am in awe of what Irene did in Vermont.  She passed directly over where I live in downstate NY and did far less damage than the "weakened" storm that hit New England.  Here is an early damage report for Killington.  Please post info on other Northeast ski areas affected by the storm in this thread.  Josh are you okay?

killington base lodge -- water undermined the foundation of the "new" superstar pub half of the building.  The old original lodge is on a separate foundation and reportedly is "not destroyed" ... whatever that means.  So no public ski rentals and limited restrooms.

Ramshead Lodge

Snowshed Lodge

And to top it off, Killington just finished demolishing the Peak Lodge at the top with plans to build a new one next summer.

Rt 7, the major approach to the Rutland / Killington area from the south

Reportedly US 4 and Rt. 100 are in bad shape.  Mountain Rd to the Bear Mountain portion of Killington is also beat up pretty bad.

US 4 -- west approach to Killington

US 4 -- east approach to killington

Mountain Rd

Preliminary investigations show minimal damage to lift towers and other lift infrastructure.

[Edit:  spelled storm as both Irene and (oops) Irina]

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Unbelievable! The power of water....just incredible.  Any idea how many inches of rain fell, and over what time, to cause that much damage?

Hey Josh, hope all's well where you live.  Let us know......

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
So sorry to see Todd....I was watching TV this morning and they were showing areas around Ludlow that were devestated...

We've skied in that area and have rode bikes all over the state...even through some of those covered bridges that were destroyed. Hard to believe that the area was so crushed by this storm.

Hoping that funding and recoveries come quick for a great state and greater people.

Best, G

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Todd,
Thanks for the pics, until I saw them, I had not realized how bad Vt. got hit. The ride from Rutland to K'ton,Rt. 4, always amazes me. Now it's gone. Can K'ton even open this year?? The economic damage to already stressed area, the lives of the residents changed for years to come and the damage to the ecology are very depressing. I can only wish them the best, and, commit to spend some $$$$ this season in the area.

Irene had my vacation home in it's gun sight. The eye passed 20 miles to the east, but, instead of a Cat 2, it was a very weak Cat 1. During the pre-storm work, one night I lay in bed thinking that the house would just be gone, stayed up a long, long time. Somehow Irene weakened and I'm home free. But, when it spares one, it just goes on to destroy the next. As I viewed the radars on Sunday and saw it went into Vt & NH, I just knew it would create havoc. It's difficult to describe my feelings as I look at the damage.....so close to being "in their shoes". My life returns to normal when I should have taken the hit. Survivors remorse, perhaps in some way.

Man plans, God laughs. Let's all be thankful for our blessings.

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
LP,

I'm glad to hear your Jersey Shore home made it through the storm.

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
Re: Northeast and New England ski area damage from Irene
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 05:05:00 am »
I am fine, stowe is fine. I have friends from Waterbury who are homeless though but couch surfing in skidom is pretty easy.

Got an email asking for MTBer to shuttle goods to granville and still havent heard back from them.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Northeast and New England ski area damage from Irene
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 01:18:39 pm »
Glad to hear BW...didn't know you lived in that neck of the woods!

Hope things for the local families and business recover quickly and funding for repairs shows up soon.

I know skiers and boarders are a hearty bunch and those I know from that area will do their best to see all Ski Resorts are up and running as the season comes in.

Best to you, family and friends,
G