Author Topic: Suggested MTB air pressures by GEAX (full suspension vs front suspension  (Read 1170 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Getting back to the original post, I was curious about how the Geax table matched with what I am putting in our tires, so I converted the presssures from the table to psi, and then calculated what our pressures should be.  Interestingly, the pressures that I am keeping right now (except for mine), are actually pretty close to what Geax recommends. 

Here are the recommended pressures for the gal's rides:

T's bike, 26in. hardtail -- front 33; rear 40
M's bike, 26in. hardtail -- front 29; rear 36
A's bike, 26in. full-suss -- front 35; rear 42

For all the above bikes, I am putting in about 30 to 35 psi front and rear, which is about what they recommend.  The difference is for the rear tire, where Geax recommends higher psi than I use.  I find these recommendations useful, and will try upping the rear tire a bit and see what the feedback is from the girls.

As for my bike, Geax has no recommendations for 29in. tires, but if I use the recommended pressures for 26in. tires, here is the outcome:

S's bike, 29in. hardtail -- front 42; rear 51

I'm not sure if this is a realistic correlation from 26in. to 29in., but these pressures are higher than what I am running now.  Personally, I find that 50 psi is too high for me on singletrack, but works perfectly well on hard pack smooth trails.  I will browse the other tires maker's sites and see if I can find a similar table that includes 29in. tires.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:39:09 pm by Svend »