Author Topic: Suggested MTB air pressures by GEAX (full suspension vs front suspension  (Read 1182 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
curious how many tubes you guys have replaced this year alone? 5 bucks a tube starts to add up. I have replaced zero on my own bike. When someone use one of my tubes to repair their flat. I take it off of them at the end of the ride. I call it the tube of shame. your tires should never flat while MTBing.

Tube count for me = 1 tube, about 12 years ago, when I used a Panaracer Smoke rear tire that had thin sidewalls.  Pinching wore a hole through the sidewall, and the tube too.  Replaced with an exact clone -- the IRC Piranha Pro -- which had the same tread pattern but stiffer sidewalls, and have not had a single flat since.  Nor on any of our other bikes.  As I've said several times, we don't have very rugged terrain here (no sharp rocks and such) so I think that really helps us to run 30 to 35 psi in tubed tires.  No sharp hits on the wheels = no pinch flats.  :)

Ok so fact number one - Contact patch given the same pressure and over bike/ride weight is the same.

Eh? What's that ya say Sonny?   |:-{)~    I can't hear ya!

Gee, if using all capital letters in a post is considered shouting, then what does 24pt font mean? Using a bull horn? No need to yell at us, Josh. ;D  We may be older and obstinate (well, at least Jim is  ;) ) and slow to change our ways at times  ::) ,  but we're not hard of hearing yet.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:16:31 pm by jim-ratliff »