Author Topic: Suggested MTB air pressures by GEAX (full suspension vs front suspension  (Read 1207 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts

I would ask their pros before blindly following some website. ask any legit pro XC race guy there pressure and I be surprised to ever hear over 35 most are closer to 20-25. if it wasnt faster they wouldnt do it.

Agreed, And you/they have the engine to expend going fast.
For me, faster isn't much of a factor or motivation at all.  The legit "pro race guy" doesn't have any relevance to me.
That would be like me using the same skis that you use -- I don't ski the places that you go and don't place the same demands on my skis, or expect the same performance that you do.   ;D

So the question becomes, for the average rider more than 40 years old (and his family), are tubeless MTB tires simpler, more cost effective, less tiring, and more reliable than tube type tires.

your still not understanding physics.

the deal is you can measure the decrease in rolling resistance with a SRM if you have a wider tubeless tire.

the first thing you have to understand is a narrow tires roll slower due to these facts.

Contact patch SIZE does not change no matter what tire you put on your bike. If you put a 1.3 inch slick and 2.6 inch knobby, the contact patch will remain the same size. It will not however remain the same shape. The slick will have a longer narrow contact patch and the knobby with have short, and wider contact patch. They will be the same overall size though. You can easily test this and this is fact please do not debate a fact unless you have some new experiment to disprove what many people who are smart know.

Ok so fact number one - Contact patch given the same pressure and over bike/ride weight is the same.

fact number 2 - a shorter contact patch has short lever working against you. where as the longer contact patch has longer lever. translation assuming no friction from a tube,(and no increase in weight) a wider tire is going to roll faster than a narrow tire, because of its shorter lever.

curious how many tubes you guys have replaced this year alone? 5 bucks a tube starts to add up. I have replaced zero on my own bike. When someone use one of my tubes to repair their flat. I take it off of them at the end of the ride. I call it the tube of shame. your tires should never flat while MTBing.

On skis I know your much older than me, but if you were the same age as me. Its the argument of the chicken and the egg aint it? can you not ski the same terrain as me because your not as good as me? or is it because of the better equipment I am using? ME personally I would never want to think that my equipment was ever holding me back. I am the only excuse for not doing something not what i am skiing or riding.