Author Topic: Suggested MTB air pressures by GEAX (full suspension vs front suspension  (Read 1201 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts

Josh:  So give me a summary by answering the following questions.

1. Your new bike.  What size wheel and tire, and what pressures do you run front and rear?

2. Your single speed. What size wheel and tire and what pressures do you run front and rear?

And a counter-point article that maybe hits at the real point, you and I are different riders.
I especially liked his summary:

http://www.downcycles.com/blogs/techtips/2009/05/24/title_1

I recommend tubeless tires to riders who are competitive. Many a race has been lost due to a tube pinch flat. Riders who have a fat wallet and a lot of patience are also good candidates for tubeless. Weekend warriors should stay clear of tubeless. I feel that most riders will suffer with problems with tubeless. Tube systems work pretty well and are pretty easy to work on trail side.
In the long run, most riders will end up running tubes in the tubeless tires. I?ve battled the tubeless system tooth and nail. As of now, I have a leaky tubeless Igniter on the front of my bike and a Cross Mark on the rear with a tube since the tires bead is weak, not enough to bulge the tube, but just enough to leak all the air if set up tubeless.
In other words, I?ve been beaten by tubeless tires. I have surrendered, forced to run tubes inside this sophisticated, brilliantly engineered, tubeless work of art.

1. New bike there both change quite bit but currently

Front Tire 29x2.25 Maxxis Ardent 24 psi,  Rear Tire Hutchison Tubeless ready Toro 29x2.15 27 psi

2 single Speed

currrently

Front tire 29x2.15 Hutchison Toro Tubeless ready 22 psi, Rear tire Hutchison Tubeless ready 29x2.15 28 psi

I have to be really careful with this rear tire that low because of pinching the tire, but the rear of my SS needs as much grip as I can give it.

The guy can say whatever he wants. He tried it with seemingly really shitty results. I have had tires never flat for 1500-2000 miles.