Author Topic: Suggested MTB air pressures by GEAX (full suspension vs front suspension  (Read 1181 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
BW:

Ok, you make my point. For the same tire the 29 will require less pressire than the 26 because the 29er has a larger contact patch (longer). The same is true of a 2.3 tire as opposed to a 2.0 (15% wider contact patch).

I'm 20+ lbs heavier than you (and 35 years older), running a  15% narrower tire than you, and a tire with much less stiff sidewalls than you. It's inconceivable to me that we should be running the same tire pressure.

My tires, with me on the bike, do NOT roll easier at 35 pounds than at 45.

Maybe the problems you had with sidewalls on the SB8 were because you were locked in to a given pressure and they needed 7 pounds more?

the 29er does not have a larger contact patch it does have longer one though.  The deal was to get the SB8 from stop flatting I had to run them at a pressure that exceeded my skill level of bike handling. So being that I like to make things as easy as possible I got rid of the SB8. The Pirannha is just as fast with sidewalls that can withstand 28 psi alot better.

like I have been saying you CAN NOT run a low pressure on a tubed tire and expect it to roll better. It will grip more but it will not roll better. There is a TON of friction between the flexing tire and tube that becomes rolling resistence. You can not understand low pressure and why it rolls faster and grips more untill you ride a tubeless tire.