Author Topic: Vermont Mountain Bike Festival@ Trapps Ride report.  (Read 236 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
OK, so I need some education.  Can you translate what "flowy" and "pump track like" means for someone 2 generations older than you?

Trapp?s does not have alot singletrack yet but what they do have is ripping fast, flowy and pump track like.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:09:20 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
first a pump track. Is track kinda of like BMX track but with everything tighter together. The track is designed to be ridden without pedaling at all. You gain and maintain speed by "pumping". Pumping is a very refined version of pressure management where you are pulling up hard on the uphills to make your bike weightless and pushing down as hard as you can on the downhill to make your bike heavier therefore propelling your bike without pedaling.

this video shows VERY advanced level pump track riding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR2jNIY0Uyw&feature=related

this me going uphill on a BMX track to practice my pumping skills, I pedal into but as soon as I hit the rollers I begin pumping as maintain my speed going up a hill.

pump tracks are the reason why MTBing is by far the best cross training for skiing. It teaches you proactive and not reactive movement that translate directly over to skiing 3d terrain. You can literally accelerate and jsut as importantly decelerate on tranisitons on ski if you leg pumping skills are up to snuff.  Also the limiting factor for most stronger riders singletracks is there pressure management skills, the better those get the faster you can go.

Pump tracks by definition "flow" if they did not flow you would have to pedal them. When a trail flows it means the turns and up and downs are smooth enough and gradual enough that you are able to maintain nearly the same speed though most of it. Usually with very little braking and pedaling. Features that make you brake or pedal break up the flow.  the better the rider gets at pump tracks the more trails will flow for the rider.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts

thanks Josh.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:59:51 am by jim-ratliff »

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
is that all? did I actually answer those questions....

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
 :D
Yes you did. I added some Google searches along with your links.  I can't DO the pump thingy, but I understand -- and noted you going uphill without pedaling. And in that context the term "flowy" is understandable.

You should be more amazed that I understood than surprised that you explained it well.

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
never say you can not do something, especially if your never tried.