Author Topic: Tour de France  (Read 785 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Tour de France
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 03:18:17 pm »

I agree.  I was beginning to understand and appreciate some of the sprinter's team logic, but other than that it was very boring and wasn't holding my interest.

And I too thought the Schleck strategy yesterday was awesome.  Send two guys out in the break-away so that IF Andy is able to get away he has pre-positioned support.  Keep Frank on Contador's wheel, and if Andy fails then it's on Frank's shoulders.  Team strategy -- and amazing how seldom there was much team around Contador!!

Absolutely agree with your assessment of Tom Voeckler -- his "all-in" efforts at honoring the yellow jersey have been suspense all by itself.

Winner tomorrow?  I think Andy holds on, only because there is enough mountain in the time trial to mitigate his individual weakness (plus, the Yellow Jersey gives you wings)?
Most admired?  Frank Shleck right behind Voeckler.  Playing the same role for Andy that George Hincapie did for Lance Armstrong.  I don't know whether Hincapie could have won on his own, and I don't know if Frank could, but I admire people who sacrifice themselves for the support of another.  I think there are 4 people that might have a real shot at the yellow tomorrow. (Can Voeckler come back from 2 minutes down in a time trial?)

:( :(    But I now just read that Andy Schleck says that he hasn't even previewed the time trial course???  I will guarantee that Lance Armstrong would not have been that casual about what stands between him and the sealing the deal after the Alps.  I now believe that Andy won't win.  Too cavalier, will choke under the pressure and burn himself up somewhere along the way.

Compare his casual attitude with today's stage winner, who's ridden the Alpe d'Huez a dozen times in practice AND watched the cadence and pace of past winners.  Video in bike racing, now  THAT's preparation.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:21:41 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."