Author Topic: Tour de France  (Read 764 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Tour de France
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:41:57 am »
le velo = the bike

Today is a TDF rest day, same for me. I rode 145 miles last week, they rode about the same each day. Amazing! Put's me in "wannabe" status. I'm really tired today, they are out riding on their rest day. A typical day during the TDF is that I watch the opening on TV, then go ride for 2 hours and still plenty of time to see the live ending.

Last week, the TDF showed what rain can do to the world's best riders. Large Peloton and narrow, wet roads puts a whole different spin on the race. Can Contador recover from all the time he's spent on the ground? Funny that everyone just gave the race to him in predictions, but, it just goes to show that you have to ride and take your chances over 3 weeks.

Is there any scenery in the world that rivals France for a bike tour? Just spectacular.

Ride on!

145 miles?  Well done sir Michael (at least by my standards).

Yes, pretty amazing to have someone get hit by a car in the race.  I think the race organizers have to take credit for some of this.  Seems like they have had the Tour on a lot of routes where the roads were inadequate for the velo/auto traffic that is part of the le Tour.

Contador seems to be having the kind of "luck" that Lance had last year.  I find it interesting that Schleck hasn't been heard from much, but it seems he was the one announcing the "cease fire" after the big crash yesterday.  I doubt that he made the decision unilaterally, but it was interesting that it was him and not Contador or any of the current Jersey wearers.

After my simple fall (effects just now completely going away, I can finally sneeze and breathe deeply painfree), I really empathized with the guy sitting along the side of the road with broken ribs, a collapsed lung, and a broken scapula (AND the knowledge that his Tour for the year was over).  WOW.
At least I still made it to work the next day.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:10:32 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."