Author Topic: Seagull Century Everyone???  (Read 1489 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Seagull Century Everyone???
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 01:30:57 pm »
Bushwacka:  Thank You.  I don't think I have ever heard of positives for soft drinks during exercise.

Caffeine and Athletic Performance:
Despite considerable research in this area, the role of caffeine as a performance enhancing drug is still controversial. Some of the data are conflicting, which is in part due to how the experimental studies were designed and what methods were used. However, there is general agreement in a few areas:
  • Caffeine does not appear to benefit short term, high intensity exercise (eg. sprinting)
  • Caffeine can enhance performance in endurance sports.
Glycogen is the principal fuel for muscles and exhaustion occurs when it is depleted. A secondary fuel, which is much more abundant, is fat. As long as there is still glycogen available, working muscles can utilize fat. Caffeine mobilizes fat stores and encourages working muscles to use fat as a fuel. This delays the depletion of muscle glycogen and allows for a prolongation of exercise. The critical time period in glycogen sparing appears to occur during the first 15 minutes of exercise, where caffeine has been shown to decrease glycogen utilization by as much as 50%. Glycogen saved at the beginning is thus available during the later stages of exercise. Although the exact method by which caffeine does this is still unclear, caffeine caused sparing in all of the human studies where muscle glycogen levels were measured. The effect on performance, which was observed in most experimental studies, was that subjects were able to exercise longer until exhaustion occurred.

In addition to the beneficial effects on muscle, caffeine may alter the perception of how hard you are working. During testing, athletes are asked to judge their effort, which is referred to as the rating of perceived exertion (RPE). Some studies have yielded significantly lower RPE's -- less fatigue -- when the athlete used caffeine. Other studies have not found this effect. Obviously, the RPE is very subjective, and there are many things that may influence it.

What about Caffeine in Ironman races?

The exercise studies on caffeine involved endurance testing of approximately 2 hours, so there is no specific information related to ultra-endurance races. Pre-race caffeine may be beneficial though, because the longer the race, the more important fat is as a fuel. During the race, caffeinated soft drinks are one of the choices at the aid stations in an Ironman. Whether this source of caffeine is useful is unknown, but these soft-drinks do supply necessary carbohydrate. Because longer races have a greater baseline risk of dehydration, nausea and abdominal cramps, it is very important to consider the side effects of caffeine (below)

Variable results and side effects!
Despite the known benefits of caffeine in endurance exercise, individual results may vary greatly. Differences in metabolism, diet, and frequency of caffeine use are some of the factors that can determine how an individual will react to caffeine. Additionally, some athletes may actually experience a decrease in performance, usually due to side effects of caffeine.
Although caffeine does not appear to significantly alter water balance or body temperature during exercise, dehydration is a potential concern because caffeine is a mild diuretic. Some athletes may also experience abdominal cramps and diarrhea related to the large intestine contractions caused by caffeine. The combination of dehydration and cramping can have particularly detrimental effects on performance.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:36:53 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 06:23:13 am »
although you will see protour rider drinking a coke while riding, I do not recommend that way of caffine uptake. I certainly do not recommend drinking "DIET" anything at any point in time as the chemical compounds used to make DIET are shown to cause people to gain weight.

You can get caffine though stuff like GU, and high end sports drink mixes. Its is much better way to consume as these are complex carbs instead of simple sugars.

The other positive side effect of caffine is it tends to leans people out as your body is actually burning off the fat and using it, and at the same time instead of carbo loading you can fat load which is alot easier and tastier.

asthe article mentions its is important to stay hydrated and like I already said pure water is not a good way to do it as your body can absorb drink mixxes like HEED alot better than pure water.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 07:19:33 am »

You can get caffine though stuff like GU, and high end sports drink mixes. Its is much better way to consume as these are complex carbs instead of simple sugars.

YES.  Strawberry and banana GU-gel.

Lynn's husband was a nationally ranked tri-athlete (in his age bracket) and used Coca-Cola (minus the fizz) as well as GU-Gel.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 01:12:42 pm »

Todd traveled over to the Delaware River side of New York and took a little bike ride with Lynn and I on Saturday.  A bit of pre-Seagull Century training (if 30 miles counts as training for a Century).  Unbeknown to us, Lynn was coasting along in the draft taking some pictures (most not very flattering), but she charmingly requested a few be posted.

1.  Truckin' -- what a long strange ride it's been. (not really, the song just popped into my head).
2.  Lynn and Todd at the start/end point near the Roebling Bridge, which used to be a canal that allowed barge traffic from the Lackawaxen River to cross OVER the Delaware River.  The log booms in the late 1800's from up the Delaware were devastating the Canal traffic where the Lackawaxen flowed into the Delaware, so a Canal Bridge was in order. For more that 50 years, the Lackawaxen Canal was the source of coal/energy for New York City. Remnants of the canal are still visible along the road next to the river.  Roebling's next engineering feat was the Brooklyn Bridge.
3.  Focus on the scenery down the river, not on me cooling off after the ride.
4.  A sample barge, but from the C&O Canal in Georgetown, DC.

[Attachment removed after 60 days]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:57:05 pm by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »

And a couple more.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2011, 07:15:34 pm »

Training update.  Lynn and I rode 68 miles through the hurricane ravaged New York. A nice ride along the Delaware and Hudson canal.  This wasn't level like the Seagull site, but we were pretty wiped out at the end of 68, and doing another 32 will be a challenge.  On the other hand, the longest ride I have done this year was 30 something, so guess I should be glad I made it back.  The good news was that our average speed was 14.5 and that included a lot of up grade at 9-12 mph, so 15 average on the flats of the "Eastern shore" shouldn't be a problem at all.

At the end of the "out" ride we were looking for a place to eat, only to be informed that the power had been out since Irene and actually came on while we were in a store, but that the water still hadn't been turned back on.

I think Mike mentioned a "bridge too far".  Not feeling like its too far, but its long way.  Of course, flat ground and more drafting will make a lot of difference.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 12:46:15 pm »
Well Guys????

Anyone joining us?

ToddW showed he's got the legs, just needed a few miles under his belt. 8)
Jim 2 has the enduro, but needs a ride (to Maryland from Maine) ;)
LP has the Tennis Diva's go-ahead, but needs to commit. :)

Jim and Lynn have  signed up and are ready to roll ( just need that 80 miler planned for next weekend to seal the fitness deal).
BUT, would love to have some RS company.

Just a wee bit of nudging going on here. ;D

L.
"Play it Sam"

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 12:44:51 pm »
LP is doing some major fence sitting!  :-\

My back muscle spasm and sneeze played major havoc with my riding. Some other life projects have not been supportive of back healing. The main issue is going over any decent bump gets to my ribs/upper back. Unless I feel comfortable with a 100 mile Texas Hold'em all-in, I will pass.

The longest I've been out since is 25. It's improving. There is hope.

Thanks for calling me out, I've been avoiding :o

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 07:21:48 am »
Saturday is the big day, and, I just want to wish Jim and Lynn the best for the Seagull. I did let them know that I am not going to participate as my body just keeps not liking going over 60 miles. I hope the weather forecast for wind does not materialize. I know we all ride in the wind, but, by the edge of the Atlantic Ocean, storms produce winds off the ocean that can be debilitating. So, make good decisions if the winds blow, a metric can be your friend. Lynn, make sure he does his share of "breaking wind". ;D Pardon the pun.

And, Jim, if it's not a secret, what bike are you going to ride? Funny that you wanted a taller frame, I would like for a slightly shorter one.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2011, 10:05:20 am »
Saturday is the big day, and, I just want to wish Jim and Lynn the best for the Seagull. I did let them know that I am not going to participate as my body just keeps not liking going over 60 miles. I hope the weather forecast for wind does not materialize. I know we all ride in the wind, but, by the edge of the Atlantic Ocean, storms produce winds off the ocean that can be debilitating. So, make good decisions if the winds blow, a metric can be your friend. Lynn, make sure he does his share of "breaking wind". ;D Pardon the pun.

And, Jim, if it's not a secret, what bike are you going to ride? Funny that you wanted a taller frame, I would like for a slightly shorter one.
We have been checking the weather often, and today is the first day that the longer range forecast for Saturday is saying NNW winds at 18mph with gusts to 37.  That's a pretty bad forecast. The "optimist" in me is saying that it might work out, the first 2/3's of the ride will be going SE with the wind, maybe the winds will die down as the day progresses and shift slightly for the last 40 miles NW back from Chincoteague to Salisbury, or that the land will warm enough for a seabreeze to cancel some of the overall wind pattern.  If not, it will be a much shorter day.  :-\
And, at times, Lynn very much appreciates the "larger" wind shadow I create.

I bought a left-over 2010 house brand (Scattante) from Performance Bike. Supposed to be a pretty good frame, stiffer, 980 grams, BB30 bottom bracket and large squoval (square oval) tubes, really thin seat stays, carbon fork and tapered steerer.  Ultegra shifters and derailleurs, FSA SL-K carbon crank. Came with Mavic Aksium Race wheels, I replaced with my Neuvation wheels. I also brought over my 13-32 cassette with the medium cage Ultegra rear derailleur, and added an FSA K-wing compact handle-bar, which is much better for my left hand.  The stiffer frame, the crank, and the Ultegra shifters were the main attraction.

My other bike was a 56cm, but I had shortened the stem to bring me more upright.  This is a 55cm and feels all-around much better.  Geometry to the front tube is more upright (or stem is just taller), feels better even when out on the brake hoods. The handlebar is also a compact drop, so riding on the down part of the curve is more upright (tho upright is a misnomer on any road bike).

Surprisingly, it's overall lower, but I haven't quite figured out where or how.  The seat on my Fuji was jammed against the roof liner when inside my RAV4 -- the new bike fits easily with a couple of inches clearance.  Maybe more drop to the bottom bracket or longer wheelbase? Seat tube and front tube angles are very similar.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 11:21:06 am by jim-ratliff »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2011, 07:05:45 am »
Lynn and Jim:  Best wishes for a successful and fun ride this weekend! A 100 miler is quite a challenge, and I admire the drive and determination to take this on.  Good on you both!

I trust you are starting the special pre-ride diet and hydration regimen already? Got your bike tuned and in peak condition? Everything lubed and tweaked and humming nicely?  8)

Go get 'em!!!

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2011, 08:22:14 am »
Thanks for all the well wishes.
I am not as confident about doing 100miles as I would like to be.
The 80 mile training ride was aborted at 50 due to my need for antibiotics and sleep.
On that ride, I knew at 20 miles that I was in trouble.
Jim is looking pretty good on his bike. He got bikers legs this year.  :) 8)

But, I am hoping the "group" dynamic of riding with many others and flat terrain make it possible to finish the 100 miles.
Unless it's too windy. I am not able to bike long periods hunkered down over my handle bars in order to deal with the wind. We will do the metric century if it is gusting. :'(
"Play it Sam"

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2011, 08:35:17 am »
Jim is looking pretty good on his bike. He got bikers legs this year.  :) 8)

Hmmm...is that so? I think he was wearing long pants when I rode with him in Maryland, so he didn't show off his new legs.   :o  But I'll take your word for it....  :D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2011, 11:36:19 am »
Thanks for all the well wishes.
I am not as confident about doing 100miles as I would like to be.
The 80 mile training ride was aborted at 50 due to my need for antibiotics and sleep.

Lynn -- thanks for the nice words, 'cause I know you remember the first time I tried to ride with you back in 2009.
Me? I am just amazed that we consider completion of a 50 mile ride (when not feeling well) as a disappointment.  :o 
Don't forget that you breezed through two other 50 milers, and that we did the 69 miles the weekend of Hurricane Irene with minimal fuel stops because of power and water outages in Ellenville, NY. (and NONE of those were flat)

Svend:  I hope that's OK, that I wasn't showing off my legs for you??  :-*   
Besides, HelluvaSkier says he's more beautiful than either one of us.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:39:29 pm by jim-ratliff »

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 09:37:16 am »
Jim,

Did you ever ride the stock Mavic rims on your new bike? If so, any thoughts on comparing them to the Neuvations? The Mavic rims are the same as what I ride. As a training wheel, I don't have any complaints about the ride and they remain very true, although the spokes are pitting due to storage in the damp ocean environment. 

Your new bike gets some very nice reviews....enjoy!

So, again, make good decisions if the wind blows...and "wind shadow" is a much more civil description of where Lynn should be riding. I keep remembering days when I'd be 25 or so miles from home, riding into a screaming headwind and knowing that it would be hours before I got done. One day I was less than 5 miles from home and bonked...the Tennis Diva had to come and get me.

Enjoy the weekend, in the big picture that's more important than how far you ride. The eastern shore is a neat place.