Author Topic: Seagull Century Everyone???  (Read 1495 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Seagull Century Everyone???
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:37:25 am »
 Jim and I plan on doing the Seagull Century in mid October. (15th)?

My friends, Heather and Glenn, will be doing it pulling their 2 year old.

I would like to talk as many as possible into doing this as well!.
Flat as a pancake is the rumor. Metric century (62.6) and full century are options.
Of course, stopping at any time is also possible.

This takes place in Maryland.  Very scenic.

Let's talk about it!

A great way to enter the looming ski season with the fitness to do this. And since it is flat, is a more obtainable century than many. Though thousands participate.  :o
But that just t gives you more people to draft after! ;D

L.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:23:24 pm by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
Re: Seagull Century Everyone???
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 10:00:23 am »
Jim and I plan on doing the Seagull Century in mid October. (15th)?

My friends, Heather and Glenn, will be doing it pulling their 2 year old.

I would like to talk as many as possible into doing this as well!.
Flat as a pancake is the rumor. Metric century (62.6) and full century are options.
Of course, stopping at any time is also possible.

This takes place in Maryland.  Very scenic.

Let's talk about it!

A great way to enter the looming ski season with the fitness to do this. And since it is flat, is a more obtainable century than many. Though thousands participate.  :o
But that just t gives you more people to draft after! ;D

L.

flat as a pancake but windy. I actually thought the flatness was hard since I never got a break from pedaling that you do when you go downhill.

Good luck though and have fun.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:14:34 am »

This is on the Eastern shore of the Cheasapeake, an area known for the number of the migratory and wintering birds; it's not uncommon to see 100 geese spending the night in one of the local fields.  In fact, I once saw so many white snow geese that I at first thought it had snowed or something.  Took me a bit to separate them out as individual birds.

Also, the destination of one route is Chincoteague Island, home of Misty and the world renowned wild ponies.

Regarding the wind, if it's blowing against you in one direction, then it should be blowing from behind on the way back.

Lynn's neighbor Glenn is actually in the bike ride business himself and run's several large bike rides in the New York City area, so it will be interesting to ride along and hear his "inside" perspective.

Todd:  Lynn and I decided this would be a great objective for you for this summer. I can't begin to tell you how gratifying it was for me my second year when I completed a metric century, and that was hillier terrain.  It's all about pace, and periodic rest and recovery stops which they provide.  (actually, our ride wound up being 78 miles rather than just the metric century -- some of the trail markings had gotten wiped out when the county resurfaced the road the week before the ride).  Give it some serious thought.

Mike:  You had been talking about a century at the Finger Lakes? This will be much easier than that (with SAG support) and you will already be used to riding in the wind from a summer spent at the beach?

http://www.seagullcentury.org
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:32:54 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 08:33:35 pm »
Maybe this year, if I've built up the endurance.   But you do know that that date is probably opening day for Loveland -- and WROD beckons.  Gotta get a few turns in at high altitude before short turn camp at A-basin the 2nd week of November.  My lungs always need a dry run before they get used seriously at altitude.  I am honored that you would think of me.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 08:53:15 am »
I did the Seagull about 20 years ago, and, am going to put this on the calendar for this October, pending what else the tennis diva, has planned. Seagull is mostly noted for the large number of riders, but, heck, I did RAGBRAI where 8,000 ride per day. The wind alongside the ocean is a way of life, it's common to ride at 10 mph or less during northeast'er events.

I've been at 100 miles per week and now that we have transitioned to the beach house, those numbers will go up.  the local roads have to be among the best in the US, wide, smooth and safe. Climbing is limited to bridges.

It would be great to do this as a RS event. Maybe Gary and Alice can make the trip.

Hmm, Todd, you've got me thinking about a round trip to Denver in November.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:05:08 pm »
II've been at 100 miles per week and now that we have transitioned to the beach house, those numbers will go up.  the local roads have to be among the best in the US, wide, smooth and safe. Climbing is limited to bridges.

It would be great to do this as a RS event. Maybe Gary and Alice can make the trip.

Hmm, Todd, you've got me thinking about a round trip to Denver in November.

Well, I doubt many of us will be keeping up with you.  :-[Also, I vote you to head the pace line! ;)

And yes, it would be great if we could get more to join!

C'mon Gary. Bring Alice please??? I need some girl talk on this ride. ;D
"Play it Sam"

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 06:51:35 pm »
Long way away from Maine to do a century. I may need to consider it as I am behind on miles for this time of the season. May not have enough miles under my belt to do the Lobster Ride Century on July 23 (which I have doing since '03).

How late can a rider register? Do not want to ride in the rain (especially if I drove down from Maine). I have done centuries in the rain, no fun. :(

Todd, I know you are serious about biking this summer. Doing a century is a great goal to keep you motivated.

As far as pace lines are concerned, I have yet to meet a wheel that I do not want to suck! :o

Jim

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 06:56:42 pm »

Todd, I know you are serious about biking this summer. Doing a century is a great goal to keep you motivated.

As far as pace lines are concerned, I have yet to meet a wheel that I do not want to suck! :o

Jim

I'll second that emoticon and sentiment!
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:26:07 am »
Long way away from Maine to do a century. I may need to consider it as I am behind on miles for this time of the season. May not have enough miles under my belt to do the Lobster Ride Century on July 23 (which I have doing since '03).

How late can a rider register? Do not want to ride in the rain (especially if I drove down from Maine). I have done centuries in the rain, no fun. :(

Jim

I, for one, will not be riding in the rain. A light sprinkle here and there? OK. It will be cool enough to bring a windbreaker and keep the core dry (not so concerned about legs and feet). But if it's real rain, then I'm either sleeping in or opting for a MUCH shorter ride.

For those that have done centuries, what speed do you ride at. I've never done a century and, even with chamois butter, am concerned about 7 hours of riding. How long does a century usually take?. Bushwacka, you need not reply, I know your average speed is out of my range. Probably true for Jim and Mike too.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:41:11 pm by jim-ratliff »

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 05:41:20 pm »
Jim, if you can do a 50-60 mile ride, you can do a century. Averaging 15mph is very doable even if your typical road ride is 13-14mph. In a large organized century, pace lines just "happen". You go about 30% faster when in a pace line. At 15 mph you are looking at just under 7 hours. I am sure there are road clubs in your area that help riders get comfortable in pace lines if you do not have much prior experience.

Mistakes I have seen by inexperienced century riders: 1) Going out too fast. You can get caught up in the pack going way too fast with your heart rate redlining. Easy to get in a pace line early that is way over your ability. 2) Spending too much time at rest stops. The farther into the ride, the faster your legs tighten up at rest stops, the harder to get going again. 3) Carrying too much stuff. Most rest stops are 20-25 miles interval. Carry as much stuff as you would for a 20-25 mile ride at home. Carry a minimal amount of tools, that is what the sag wagons and rest stop mechanics are for. Most sag wagons carry floor pumps - much better than a mini frame pump or CO2 cartridge. Most bigger centuries have dispatchers for the sag wagons, carry a cell phone and call the sag wagon if you have a flat. The coldest temperature is usually at the start - dress for it and plan to peal down as it heats up. The only exception is for potential rain. If big rain is forecasted, that is when I do not ride  ;D 4) Not drinking enough fluids. Muscles really tighten up when you get dehydrated. 5) Trying to do a century on a mtn bike. Use a real road bike with road wheels/tires. The corollary of that is use a bike/equipment that you are familiar/comfortable with. A century is not the place for a maiden ride on a new bike.

Assos nut butter is the way to go 8). The pros put enough on that it works through the shorts and cause the saddle to shine. Assos costs more, but that is not an area to save money and then wish you had spent the extra bucks! :o

Sorry if this is more or different than you wanted to hear, but centuries can be a lot of fun. You do your first, and you start looking to do others. :)

FWIW, I have personally done some of the mistakes that I mentioned above. :-[

Jim

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 07:39:41 pm »

Meput:
Nope, no surprises.  Lynn and I averaged about 15 on our metric 2 years ago; and that actually wound up being 78 miles including a few miles of being lost and an unexpected much slower 6 miles back to the hotel at the end of the day.  And I was very glad that one of the rest stops had Chamois Butter available -- that was a new experience at the time. (and Lynn WAS noticing the length of time I liked staying in the rest stops)

I was more concerned that you and Living Proof were going to set a pace of 18-20 mph and finish in 5 hours.  I can ride 20 mph for a 2-3 mile section on a shorter ride, but wouldn't on a long ride.  15-17 with Mike breaking the wind would be alright.

7 hours is still a long time in the saddle, and I'm sure there are guys that ride that in 4-5 hours (especially on such flat ground).  At least we know it will be cool.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:44:38 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 09:35:28 am »
Mike/Meput
Jim and I will do our best to our share some pulling!
Payback's a ****.

L.
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 10:29:35 am »

I have NO prior experience with pace lines.  I think that makes me a prime candidate to always be at the back of the pack  ;D  so I can't get in anyone's way or cause any damage??? 

Actually, I guess I have a little bit of experience.  I'm always following Lynn.   ::)
I'm a foot off her rear wheel and she's yelling at me to close the distance.

What she doesn't appreciate is the difference in our inertia and how quickly I close that gap if she lets off the gas.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 11:38:23 am »

Some info.  Seagull Century URL  For non-bikers, Cambridge, MD and Oxford, MD are fascinating little towns to visit and walk around.  However, October is after the main season, although probably will still have lots of shops and museums open. Check them out on the web.  Wallops Island NASA Flight Center is also in the area.  The number of ducks and geese in the area will likely be staggering, especially morning and evening.

• Online registration open until 10/5
  • Each participant must fill out and sign his/her own Registration Form
  • Registration cost = $60.  -- After 9/15 its $75.
  • Day of registration cost = $90 (10/14, 4-7 p.m.; 10/15, 6-8 a.m.)
  • No Refunds After September 15
  • No over-night parking available at SU
  • Make check payable and mail with Registration Form to:
     SU Foundation, Inc. - Sea Gull Century
     P.O. Box 2655, Salisbury, MD 21802-2655
  • Don't forget rider number, $5 replacement fee
  • SU is a smoke-free campus
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:08:39 pm by jim-ratliff »

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 01:10:57 pm »
The date for the Seagull is looking good and the Tennis Diva has given her ok, although she will not be on the trip. I have been meaning to ask if the plan was for a full century or a metric, but, the above posts indicated the full monte!

I agree with Meput's thoughts about how to ride a full, and, my only addition is to start very early as there is only about 11 hours of light. Riding is a pace line at moderate speed is not difficult as long as you pay attention to the wheel right in front of you. One of the great traditions of cycling is pulling others through wind, I've been on both ends, but, I always remember the rides when someone else did the front end during big wind events.

For those  concerned about my riding pace, this will be my first "Medicare" century and my engine is not what it used to be. ( I may do a "Livestrong" event in Phila late in August that is 70 plus miles and 6000 feet of climbing). My view of the Seagull is that it is as more a social event and I'm not looking for a personal solo. On weekends, my route is very popular with excellent cyclist and I know my limitations. It hurts to look at the times and heart rate profiles that friends with Garmin technology post. My typical ride is due north/south, and this weekend there were some good crosswinds from the west, resulting in always feeling a headwind. I ride with a heart monitor to pace myself. It clearly shows that any headwind raises the pulse and I feel tired at rides end. Rest is becoming more important.

Meput, if you make Seagull, I commit to getting to Maine this winter! Even if you can't make it, Maine is still on my agenda.