Author Topic: Seagull Century Everyone???  (Read 1515 times)

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Seagull Century Everyone???
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2011, 07:13:41 pm »
Great comments for endurance rides have been made here:

"Interestingly, I may be much less intimidated by the winds in the future. You ride 14.5 instead of 18 and just don't fight it.  The lesson/secret for me was never riding at a point where I really felt like my legs were working."  Yes

"One amazing father on a tandem with his tweener son just kicked the asses of Lynn and Jim while we tried to draft. We  succeeded in hanging with them, until we realized they were dragging us along at 19-20 mi/hr. Too fast for the second leg of the ride" Drafting a tandem is intoxicating. Very easy to get over your own heart rate max redline when on a tandem wheel.

"I think a lot of it is mental. In the wind in the past I've felt like I had to beat the wind; yesterday I was just focused on going where I needed to go at cadence and avoiding my legs feeling like they were working." Great Jim

"it's heart rate related. Normally, I use a HR monitor and the issue is just keeping my pulse at a level where I can sustain the riding pace, given the distance I pan to ride. It does not take a lot of wind or increased pace to increase the HR 10 or 15 beats per minute over that which can be sustained for hours."  Intensive training is not necessary for completing a century, just a reasonable amount of base miles if you carefully moniter your HR max and average; and ride accordingly.

Congrats again Lynn & Jim