Author Topic: Seagull Century Everyone???  (Read 1496 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Seagull Century Everyone???
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2011, 09:44:59 pm »
Jim and Lynn,

Very well done and a tribute to your determination to "get it done".

As I wimped out of the Seagull, I did do 30 miles yesterday, in the same wind, and it was tough going. Can't imagine being out for over 8 hours. At 15 mph average, you need close to 7 hrs of real riding time, so your breaks had to be short. Riding anywhere near a 15 average, in that wind, is something to be proud of. Just curious, but, did you have a very strong rider to pull the group through the wind  via a paceline?

I can understand why you are not tempted to do it again, at least in the near future. One less thing in the "bucket".

LP:
Thanks for going riding with us "in spirit".  I don't think I would have gotten out in those winds absent the prior mental commitment. The most impressive part was the sheer numbers of people (I saw bib numbers greater than 9000) at the rest stops, second most impressive was the police support - stopping traffic at every intersection to give the bikers the right of way. But still a larger number of bikes on the ground that I expected (and a couple with ambulances in attendance). And then there were the guys doing 18 against a 20mph headwind 85 miles into the ride. Minimal real pace lines against the wind.  The winds were seldom directly ahead, and the shoulders were narrow so it was impossible to really get in the wind shadow of the person ahead of you.  And the winds were so strong that it didn't feel like you were getting any advantage from being close.  We averaged 18+ on the way out, but that was a couple of unorganized groups and before the wind really began to pick up.

Interestingly, I may be much less intimidated by the winds in the future. You ride 14.5 instead of 18 and just don't fight it.  The lesson/secret for me was never riding at a point where I really felt like my legs were working.

[Attachment removed after 60 days]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:14:30 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."