Author Topic: Seagull Century Everyone???  (Read 1543 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Seagull Century Everyone???
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011, 10:05:20 am »
Saturday is the big day, and, I just want to wish Jim and Lynn the best for the Seagull. I did let them know that I am not going to participate as my body just keeps not liking going over 60 miles. I hope the weather forecast for wind does not materialize. I know we all ride in the wind, but, by the edge of the Atlantic Ocean, storms produce winds off the ocean that can be debilitating. So, make good decisions if the winds blow, a metric can be your friend. Lynn, make sure he does his share of "breaking wind". ;D Pardon the pun.

And, Jim, if it's not a secret, what bike are you going to ride? Funny that you wanted a taller frame, I would like for a slightly shorter one.
We have been checking the weather often, and today is the first day that the longer range forecast for Saturday is saying NNW winds at 18mph with gusts to 37.  That's a pretty bad forecast. The "optimist" in me is saying that it might work out, the first 2/3's of the ride will be going SE with the wind, maybe the winds will die down as the day progresses and shift slightly for the last 40 miles NW back from Chincoteague to Salisbury, or that the land will warm enough for a seabreeze to cancel some of the overall wind pattern.  If not, it will be a much shorter day.  :-\
And, at times, Lynn very much appreciates the "larger" wind shadow I create.

I bought a left-over 2010 house brand (Scattante) from Performance Bike. Supposed to be a pretty good frame, stiffer, 980 grams, BB30 bottom bracket and large squoval (square oval) tubes, really thin seat stays, carbon fork and tapered steerer.  Ultegra shifters and derailleurs, FSA SL-K carbon crank. Came with Mavic Aksium Race wheels, I replaced with my Neuvation wheels. I also brought over my 13-32 cassette with the medium cage Ultegra rear derailleur, and added an FSA K-wing compact handle-bar, which is much better for my left hand.  The stiffer frame, the crank, and the Ultegra shifters were the main attraction.

My other bike was a 56cm, but I had shortened the stem to bring me more upright.  This is a 55cm and feels all-around much better.  Geometry to the front tube is more upright (or stem is just taller), feels better even when out on the brake hoods. The handlebar is also a compact drop, so riding on the down part of the curve is more upright (tho upright is a misnomer on any road bike).

Surprisingly, it's overall lower, but I haven't quite figured out where or how.  The seat on my Fuji was jammed against the roof liner when inside my RAV4 -- the new bike fits easily with a couple of inches clearance.  Maybe more drop to the bottom bracket or longer wheelbase? Seat tube and front tube angles are very similar.

[Attachment removed after 60 days]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 11:21:06 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."