Author Topic: Seagull Century Everyone???  (Read 1546 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Seagull Century Everyone???
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 01:12:42 pm »

Todd traveled over to the Delaware River side of New York and took a little bike ride with Lynn and I on Saturday.  A bit of pre-Seagull Century training (if 30 miles counts as training for a Century).  Unbeknown to us, Lynn was coasting along in the draft taking some pictures (most not very flattering), but she charmingly requested a few be posted.

1.  Truckin' -- what a long strange ride it's been. (not really, the song just popped into my head).
2.  Lynn and Todd at the start/end point near the Roebling Bridge, which used to be a canal that allowed barge traffic from the Lackawaxen River to cross OVER the Delaware River.  The log booms in the late 1800's from up the Delaware were devastating the Canal traffic where the Lackawaxen flowed into the Delaware, so a Canal Bridge was in order. For more that 50 years, the Lackawaxen Canal was the source of coal/energy for New York City. Remnants of the canal are still visible along the road next to the river.  Roebling's next engineering feat was the Brooklyn Bridge.
3.  Focus on the scenery down the river, not on me cooling off after the ride.
4.  A sample barge, but from the C&O Canal in Georgetown, DC.

[Attachment removed after 60 days]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:57:05 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."