Author Topic: Seagull Century Everyone???  (Read 1494 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Seagull Century Everyone???
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 08:26:04 am »
In another thread, I mentioned last week I rode 145 miles, and, Jim R. asked for additional info. I thought I'd post it here as it's linked to century training.

I ride 5 days per week and rest for 2. There was a Bicycling Mag article about training for a century (there are many, many other such articles) and this one called for riding 3 straight days at distance using a pace typical of a century ride. The thinking is never to overexert yourself on any one day so that you can ride the next. I ride with a heart rate monitor, so I selected an arbitary low rate and did 35 miles per day for 3 straight days. Each day, I finished and felt that I could continue on for another 35. Rode at some very low speeds, got passed a lot.

Took a rest day, then road 2 days at a brisk pace for 20 miles each day. Got off the bike tired, especially the second day when I rode at some pretty high heart rates. I need to shorten rides where I train at high levels.

So, I'm adding structure to bike riding, as opposed to just going out. I agree with Jim's thinking about riding 25 to 35 miles as a base line for century training. Sooner or later, though, you just have to go long, somewhere around 50 to 60, and learn about eating and drinking while doing an extended ride. After 2 hours on a bike, my body tells me I need more than water.  Bonking sucks! If I catch a cool morning this week, I've got a 50 mile ride panned.

My August goal is a Livestrong ride of 70 miles plus 6000 feet of climbing.