Author Topic: Seagull Century Everyone???  (Read 1552 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Seagull Century Everyone???
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:14:34 am »

This is on the Eastern shore of the Cheasapeake, an area known for the number of the migratory and wintering birds; it's not uncommon to see 100 geese spending the night in one of the local fields.  In fact, I once saw so many white snow geese that I at first thought it had snowed or something.  Took me a bit to separate them out as individual birds.

Also, the destination of one route is Chincoteague Island, home of Misty and the world renowned wild ponies.

Regarding the wind, if it's blowing against you in one direction, then it should be blowing from behind on the way back.

Lynn's neighbor Glenn is actually in the bike ride business himself and run's several large bike rides in the New York City area, so it will be interesting to ride along and hear his "inside" perspective.

Todd:  Lynn and I decided this would be a great objective for you for this summer. I can't begin to tell you how gratifying it was for me my second year when I completed a metric century, and that was hillier terrain.  It's all about pace, and periodic rest and recovery stops which they provide.  (actually, our ride wound up being 78 miles rather than just the metric century -- some of the trail markings had gotten wiped out when the county resurfaced the road the week before the ride).  Give it some serious thought.

Mike:  You had been talking about a century at the Finger Lakes? This will be much easier than that (with SAG support) and you will already be used to riding in the wind from a summer spent at the beach?

http://www.seagullcentury.org
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:32:54 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."