Author Topic: Mtn bike advice  (Read 1233 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Mtn bike advice
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 08:46:42 am »

I am still in the process of gradually working my tire pressures down to see if I can feel any differences, finding a balance between what I can use on asphalt and off.  The tire sidewall says 35-80 for minimum and maximum pressure, and I'm hesitant to get too close to that minimum figure, assuming that the higher recommendations reflect the  lightweight nature of the tire.

Another question.  Lynn weighs less than 120, I weigh 180+.  Do you adjust Terryl's pressures differently than yours to allow for the difference in weight?

Yeah, you have to be careful not to go too low, otherwise you'll start to get pinch-flats.  That problem plagued me a few years ago -- I would get a flat almost every ride, and it took me weeks to figure out what was going on.  Finally found that the sidewalls on the tires were very thin and could not support a lower pressure....swapped the tires for better ones with thicker sidewalls....proble m solved. 

As for different pressures on my bike vs. Terryl's, no, I have not played with that.  But I have considered it.  Kinda tough to generalize on this one, as a lot depends on the model of tire and it's strength/robustness.   Certainly would be worth experimenting.  I'll get back to you.....we are riding later today, so I may try that.