Author Topic: Mtn bike advice  (Read 1265 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Mtn bike advice
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 07:45:39 am »

I think it was mostly inattentiveness.  For the first time, I was really getting comfortable working both edges of the 3-5 foot wide trail picking my way through exposed rocks (or at least the sharper ones), exposed sapling stumps, and hitting the roots at a good angle or edging around them.

I don't remember having a visualization of how I wanted to ride through this section -  so too passive and just sitting on the bike instead of riding it?
It's was only about a 10 foot stretch with a tree on the left, a mud-hole on the right, and a spiderweb of 2"-4" exposed roots spreading away from the tree.  I didn't feel bounced around, so the shock settings seemed right (very Buick like  :D ). In retrospect, I was also riding it too fast and my forward momentum was a significant part of the fall, but the forward-diagonal direction of the fall makes me believe the front wheel got pushed sideways.

I am still in the process of gradually working my tire pressures down to see if I can feel any differences, finding a balance between what I can use on asphalt and off.  The tire sidewall says 35-80 for minimum and maximum pressure, and I'm hesitant to get too close to that minimum figure, assuming that the higher recommendations reflect the  lightweight nature of the tire.

Another question.  Lynn weighs less than 120, I weigh 180+.  Do you adjust Terryl's pressures differently than yours to allow for the difference in weight?

Quote from: jim-ratliff
AHA, that was the last hard fall. I was skiing at Powder Mountain in Utah when someone lost their snowboard.  Just as I was turning left the snowboard went under my skis, my feet went right, and the rest of me went down. EXTREMELY glad I had a helmet on that day.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:04:51 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."