Author Topic: Mtn bike advice  (Read 1222 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Mtn bike advice
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 10:42:24 am »
I hear you -- almost every aluminum hard tail I tested was just too harsh for my liking, to the point that I was seriously considering full suspension (gasp! sacrilege!), which I really didn't want for various reasons; or rebuilding my old steel frame bike, which was not a great option either due to poor frame fit to my size.  Until I started testing 29ers, I was actually looking at the few rare steel frame 26ers that are still being made.  Jamis makes one, and a couple of other smaller makers do too.  Carbon fiber just wasn't in my budget, although I was sorely tempted.  Scandium is better than aluminum wrt. harsh ride, but was hard to find here.

If I ever start riding a road bike, it will be either a rebuild of an old vintage steel frame racing bike (there is one sitting in our garage gathering dust.....winter project?), or a carbon frame.  I cannot imagine riding an aluminum frame road bike with tires inflated rock-hard.  I'd have to slip an inch-thick neoprene pad down the back of my shorts  :o  just to be able to ride it.

I would include titanium in your road bike project possibilities.  Lynn has an older GT titanium bike and I'm pretty sure it is similar to carbon in dampness -- but isn't currently "in vogue" so older LiteSpeeds are arouind.
She sold Doug's first racing bike, which was a Litespeed with Campagnola Record  components for about $600 through the local bikeshop.  (a side benefit, unless the thief is really knowledgeable, titanium doesn't distinguish itself as a target the way carbon does).

Fall didn't require a doctor's visit, but left side of rib cage is quite tender.

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."