Author Topic: Mtn bike advice  (Read 1245 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Mtn bike advice
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 08:17:30 am »
Yes, the Candy is a platform with the eggbeater springs in the middle. The platform lets me peddle without cleating if I want, and they come out easier than my road bike pedals but those are the much bigger triangular cleat. I do like having the platform part, and it seems like it would spread the load over more of the sole rather than right at the cleat as the pure eggbeaters would do.

Interesting thought about eliminating the front suspension, and relying on the carbon fork for even more dampness (and less weight).  We were riding single track yesterday with lots of roots exposed across the trail, anywhere from 2-5 inches high.  I was quite impressed with how well the full suspensions handled that (right up to the point where one diagonal root threw the bike sideways out from under me).  Lesson learned - like railroad tracks, need to slow down a bit more and hit the roots as head-on as possible.  Hardest fall I've taken as far back as I can remember.

One of the things that really surprised me when I first decided to try cycling was the difference in dampness between the aluminum and carbon fiber bike. Really didn't care for the feel of aluminum at all.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:04:50 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."