Author Topic: Mtn bike advice  (Read 1274 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Mtn bike advice
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 07:18:05 am »
Hey Jim -- nice pic! Ain't riding over stream beds fun?! I love it.  We have a shallow river here that we cross on occasion, water up to the axles, but so refreshing on a hot day.  Feel like a little kid, again, splashing in the river.

Looks like the Candy are the same as Eggbeaters, but with a platform frame.  Am I seeing that correctly? No issues clicking out in a hurry? How do you find egress compared to the SPD pedals on your road bike? Any falls yet? Hey, if they work, then I guess there's no reason to swap.  Shimano pedals will be a bit heavier....about 100g, I'm guessing.  Terryl and I will be out again tomorrow, so will post back with more feedback from her on the new cleats.

Re. tubeless -- I can see why that is appealing, in order to run lower tire pressure and ease some of the harsh ride of an aluminum frame bike.  Better traction too.  That was the first thing I noticed when test riding, coming from a steel frame bike to aluminum, was the harsh transmission of vibration and impact through the frame.  Some hard tail aluminum 26ers with super stiff frames were brutal...the tiniest pebble would go straight up the seat post.  I REALLY miss the feel of the steel frame....I loved it.  Although, that is another reason I like the 29er size so much, is that the larger wheels absorb a lot of that -- run the tires at 25 psi off-road, and it's a great ride.  But....I would go to a steel frame 29er any time.  Niner Bikes make a light CrMo steel frame that you can fit with a carbon fork....SWEET!!!!  Would probably not weigh more than 20 or 22 lbs fully dressed.   8)