Author Topic: Mtn bike advice  (Read 1254 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Mtn bike advice
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:58:27 pm »
LP:

I'm a bit honored to be "bike consultant" but I'm not feeling very qualified.

I searched for the iDrive 4 4.0 phrase and came up with a couple of results.  Overall, the other threads at mtbr that I have read over time have been informative.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=391262
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=216274

If you are thinking about a mountain bike, then you should do some store shopping and try to get smarter, even if you want to buy used.  For Lynn and I, the weight of a steel full suspension bike (at the Yough) was really a turn off.  We would not have gotten full suspension if we hadn't been able to get the weight under 28 pounds at what we could afford.
Full suspension will be heavy unless you move up to the higher end.
29 hardtails will ride better than 26 hardtail.
I think you are big enough framed that you should really consider a 29 hardtail.  That's what Svend rides, and he is 6'3" or so. I think you are close to that?
Is a Large GT frame the right size.  May need to visit bike store to know what the right size is.  I was in between a Medium and Large, and wound up gettting the Large and that feels very comfortable now -- but it felt really stretched out in the beginning since I was coming from a road bike.  My road bike feels like riding in a go-cart.

My biases.  My son's Trek had the twist grip shifters.  I like the trigger shifters better.
A lockout on the front shock (or at least some rebound adjustment) is very desirable.  Otherwise when you get out of the saddle and pedal hard the front shock bobs up and down and wastes energy.
Fox and Rockshox are the two better shock brands.
I'm not smart enough to know what to watch out for in a used MTB.

SVEND? ??? ?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:35:42 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."