Author Topic: Pivot Slips - Heaven or Hell ?  (Read 1025 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Pivot Slips - Heaven or Hell ?
« on: May 03, 2011, 08:49:58 pm »
Gary,

I will need to meet and ski with you at some point. Your mind is obviously in an interesting place: "little worker fairies" and "dead nuts"  8) . That is if Lynn does not get to you first with her Haldol  :-\ .

Jim

We need a terminology Wiki.  I've heard the word pivot slips forever, I don't really have any idea what they are -- but I still get the idea from the context.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:47:55 am by gandalf »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Pivot Slips - Heven or Hell ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 05:14:24 am »

We need a terminology Wiki.  I've heard the word pivot slips forever, I don't really have any idea what they are -- but I still get the idea from the context.

Jim,
Assuming you are talking ski technique, check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUuCWQ_2WOo&feature=player_embedded

Some pretty ugly skiing, IMHO. What does this have to do with real skiing? Reminds me of how biginers go down the steeper parts of my home mountain....sliding, not skiing.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:48:17 am by gandalf »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:12:46 am »

Yes.  Rather serendipitous that, after making that statement yesterday, I stumbled across that same thread on the PMTS forum last night. 

And I use that move (maybe without the pivot part) whenever I get someplace where I am clearly over my head skill wise.  I have gotten pretty good with my "snow boarder moves", just side-slipping down.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:30:22 am »
For Sure Meput...
So Jim....as ski season approaches lets share were each of us are skiing and we'll try and make some turns together.

Where do you live?

Jim and gang...it's so funny to me when I hear about using side slipping and pivot turns....I think it's always amazing when we're making those perfect carves turns, edge to edge, technique in top form but skiing to me is more about tools.

We all get over our heads now and then and having tools even including the emergency wedge or tail drags, or whatever...having those tools and knowing when to use them is well.....just another fun day on the mountain.

G

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:49:56 am »
In other words.....Ski like no one is watching!   8)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 02:11:47 pm »
I like that...and might add...."and you don't care whose watching"!  ;)

G

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 04:07:43 pm »

We need a terminology Wiki.  I've heard the word pivot slips forever, I don't really have any idea what they are ...

Pivot Slip:  (noun) the fastest technical road to a certain skiing destination.  Experts disagree on whether it's Heaven or Hell.

I saw Barnes and Geib (w/ the b'day party crowd) at Loveland on Sunday.  No doubt they would say Heaven.  I also saw a PMTS devotee and Loveland regular who'd surely say Hell.  The best part was that they were all smiling as they skied fantastic mid-winter conditions in early May!

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 05:16:20 pm »
Gary, I live in Maine (therefore qualifying as a "Mainiac"  :-\)

Todd, me thinks you give to much credit to those who think pivot slips are "Heaven". To label them "experts" is giving them way too much credit  :o.

Jim

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 05:27:31 pm »

We need a terminology Wiki.  I've heard the word pivot slips forever, I don't really have any idea what they are ...

Pivot Slip:  (noun) the fastest technical road to a certain skiing destination.  Experts disagree on whether it's Heaven or Hell.

I saw Barnes and Geib (w/ the b'day party crowd) at Loveland on Sunday.  No doubt they would say Heaven.  I also saw a PMTS devotee and Loveland regular who'd surely say Hell.  The best part was that they were all smiling as they skied fantastic mid-winter conditions in early May!

Todd,
Chris Geib is a recreational skier, and, while he may not conform to our school of skiing, he is a far better skier than I. Not trying to argue right or wrong, but, I have difficulty criticizing the ski style of a recreational skier (or golfer or tennis player). He skis how he was trained, maybe someday, he'll join High Angles in making the transition, maybe not. I sure did not see him doing pivot slips during the days I skied with ( or more correctly behind ) him. I also skied with a PMTS Loveland regular and was sure impressed with his movements and speed. A L3 PSIA instructor at the gathering was very critical of PSIA teaching and emphasizing movements not used in everyday skiing like pivot slips. He also stated that his skiing is much closer to PMTS than PSIA.

What I can't understand is BB championing pivot slips as it's requires such muscular twisting, a very forced awkward movement. I'll take HH's linked brushed carves any day as an efficient, low energy means of turning skis. But, make no mistake, it takes a lot of learning and practice to perform the subtle HH movements....not for most who step into the bindings.

Putting my new Global Mod hat on, it's a shame that we got into technique in a post about feedback regarding the new 2011 update. If Jim can work some magic and break out the technique posts, continuing the PS discussion could be fun. Mod hat off

Mike

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 06:30:01 am »
Moderator Note: I created this thread with the intent of a) removing some material that does not apply to "Feedback on 2011 Change" thread, and b) provide an opportunity to discuss the "Pivot Slip" drill should any members be interested in that drill.

Gosh, it's such fun being a "Global Moderator"  ;D Feel the power! ???

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Pivot Slips - Heaven or Hell ?
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 08:47:24 am »
Ok....I'm going to be cast out for this one...

I MUST say that guy doing Pivot Slips or what I would refer to as drifting is doing it perfectly and is a fantastic expert tool to use between monster bumps, droping into steeps that are grassed up, rocked up, narrow enter. I have spent hours at all mountain clinic perfecting this tool!

I will guarantee you if you can do that as well as the video demonstrater does, it means you have full control of your edged to edge transition knowing how to fully utilize the flat portion of your ski during transitions.

It's all in the feet my fellow skiers....it all happens there and if you can do it slow and in contoled, you will open up loads more all mountain terrain!  ;D

Ok...cast me out .....I can take it!  ???

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 09:18:24 am »
Gary:

Not to worry.  You are grandfathered (and how appropriate is that) under the senility (not sterility) provision of the "thou shalt not cast out grandfathers" section of the RealSkiers charter.   ;D

And I will also say that, although I use it more defensively and haven't worked on perfecting it, the concept of drifting through big bumps to better control speed and to pick "my" next bump is something that I did take away from the Clendenin camp.  And, in fact, using that more proactively on smaller bumps is somewhat of a focus for next year (once I get tipping and CB and CA and angulation as a more regular part of my skiing).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:20:36 am by jim-ratliff »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 01:00:16 pm »
There...now I feel devillified!  ;D

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 05:18:42 pm »
Oh my goodness Jim!!  You mentioned sterility and senility in a thread about pivot slips.

Does that mean if I do pivot slips, it will make me sterile and senile.  Or correctly "more senile"?

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 11:00:40 pm »
Oh my goodness Jim!!  You mentioned sterility and senility in a thread about pivot slips.

Does that mean if I do pivot slips, it will make me sterile and senile.  Or correctly "more senile"?

Are you suggesting that too many pivot slips are what really put Weems Westfeldt out of commission this season?