Author Topic: Bindings -- what to do in the summer?  (Read 370 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Bindings -- what to do in the summer?
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:05:15 pm »
I'm reading and hearing some conflicting advice on what to do with bindings during summer storage, so wanted to throw a couple of questions out here and see if anyone can clear this up.

1) Should I spray the moving bits with silicone lube? Some magazines say Yes, but shop technicians have told me that the solvents in the spray can may dissolve and degrade the grease in the bindings, and that it's best to leave them alone.

2) Is it good to loosen the springs and back them completely off? If so, why?

3) If I do back off the springs, when I then bring them back to proper DIN next winter, should the boot be clicked into the binding when I set the DIN? I see the shop guys doing this all the time -- they click the customer's boot into bindings and then set the DIN.  No one has given me a good reason as to why.

As much as I love tweaking and tinkering with stuff, I thought that bindings were pretty much maintenance-free....just set 'em and forget 'em.  Maybe this ain't so.....

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Bindings -- what to do in the summer?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:07:47 pm »
1. I've not heard any good reasons for lubeing, not part of the manufacturers instructions for routine maintenance?? And I've never heard of anyone's bindings dying of rust.? And around here, we don't keep the skis or the bindings that long anyway.? May depend on how much metal vs. plastic is in a particular set of bindings, but I believe the designers have allowed for the fact that most people don't even wax their skis for the summer, let alone think about the bindings.

2. I've never seen the inside of a binding, so don't know what happens with the lever at the heel when you step out of a binding.? However, the time the binding is under spring pressure is when the boot is in the binding and the heel is closed.? To some degree, the springs ARE relaxed whenever the boot isn't in the binding. I don't fiddle with mine.? Also, similar comment to above, the manufacturer's lawyers have, I am sure, convinced the designers to allow for the lowest common denominator of skiers.

3. I've seen bindings set with the boot out, then adjusted based on boot release with the boot in the bindings.? I think the DIN screw turns easier with the boot out (no pressure) but I don't think it makes any difference.? Take a look, the DIN indicator doesn't move as the boot is clamped in (the forward pressure indicator does, but not the DIN scale pointer).

OOPS.? Svend, I should have read that last paragraph first.? Yes, you should absolutely disassemble the bindings, spray on and then completely wipe off an appropriate lubricant, then seal all the little pieces in a plastic bag with some desiccant granules to absorb moisture until November.? THEN reassemble everything.? ?>:D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:58:30 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:48:14 pm »
Jim
After you perfect the technique on your bindings,
would you please do mine? :-*
Oh, and the reassemble too, please. >:D

L.
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:09:18 am »
Pasted from old forum:

JB...you've held on to a pair of skis for almost 8 years.... :'(

Well of course you have a room full of skis from which to choose...I wear mine out after 3 seasons so I never really worry about grease, oil and lubes of the bindings...however, I do worry whether I should inhale or exhale off the down hill edge of the right ski at the apex of the turn....hmmm... >:D

Svend I can see why the concern with Mrs. Vikings knee..which would end up in your ..... if you fail to maintain her skis correctly.  I think it's just as important to look at the soles of the ski boots and the contact points of the lugs to make sure there's no excessive wear and tear. AND now that she's skiing the new Lange RS110 all shinny and blue...you should be worry free!  ;D

Best, g