Author Topic: Dead Nuts!  (Read 141 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Dead Nuts!
« on: April 29, 2011, 08:24:22 am »
I had a very interesting experience yesterday...at the doctors.... :o, the BOOT doctors. I visited my good buddy Dave Cardello to have him do a little expansion for my 6th toe area on my new Langes. He was pretty impressed with the uprightness of the boot and also, I might add, my handy work with the drummel for some "G"man modifications.

My past with him going back many years is that every boot I've purchased in the past 10 years has had some kind of alignment work done on it. When he asked if I had any alignment issues...since he now trust I somewhat understand how a boot should track, I said no, the skis track straight and I love the edge to edge quickness. He continued to mark the areas that needed expansion and we both noted how well the naked foot in the shell with just the footbed, fit the anatomical shape of the shell....very sweet! I also asked him to make my footbed 3mm longer so it fit in the new boot..now I love my footbed and didn't want another but noticed it slid to the front of the boot and stayed there when I skied. Still, he said he could rebuild it no problem. After finishing he said "you're here, let's take a look at the alignment just to be on the safe side." I said great with some worry that he would want to change something. I got into the boots, mounted "the podium" and he studied profile and front stance to see that I was appropriately centered...results all good. Then he marked my tibia, set my feet in place square and got out the square. In silence he went about his aligning process. After doing both boots he looked dumfounded and said "Dead Nuts"! I laughed and said oh yeah....I know that. What he said next surprised me...he stated "I guarantee you, I could bring the same Lange boot in, same size and model, and you could put them on and we could have a totally different outcome." I was so surpriseed to hear that. That's the message I wanted to pass along. When trying on new boots, if you are lucky enough to be in a shop that has a couple of pair of the same boot, try them both on and see which fit and align better for your stance. Never thought there could be any difference. As for me, Oh yeah...it was divine intervention finding the last pair of Lange RX130 pro's in North America that fit me to the "t"!
Best, G         
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:27:32 am by Gary »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

gandalf

• Administrator
  • <100 Posts
Re: Dead Nuts!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:31:40 am »
I had a very interesting experience yesterday...at the doctors.... :o, the BOOT doctors.

In silence he went about his aligning process. After doing both boots he looked dumfounded and said "Dead Nuts"!

I laughed and said oh yeah....I know that.

Well I'm very glad you can laugh about that condition.

So the question is --  "Is there that much variation among allegedly 'assembly line production' boots??"   :o :o

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Dead Nuts!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 09:42:15 am »
Ah...all is well in the "goober" dept..but thank you for you interest and concern...

But for sure that's what my good budy Dave intimated....."no two boots are alike"! Now not having ever checked that out before, it would be fun to actually test that theory to see if it passes muster....

But if the "boottrieroner" has or has had fitting issues in the past....it just might be worth telling your shop..."another pair please"!

G