Author Topic: To what degree  (Read 301 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
To what degree
« on: January 04, 2007, 09:18:19 am »
Hey Gang, I just posted this over on the PMTS side. If you all can add any light, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Gary

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: To what degree     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Todays new skis have some sweet sidecut for sure. As a tuner of my own gear, family and friends, I want to be sure I'm on target for the edges I work on.

I currently ski the new Supershape and the IM 82. When I called Head North America, they said these skis come 1 degree side and 1 degree base.

At Beaver Creek a couple of weeks ago, talking with their tuner who has supposedly tuned for world class racers, said 2 degree side and 1 degree base is how he set's up high performance skis....he did add when I questioned that he ups the side bevel depending on conditions.

My last conversation a couple of years back with Harold was 2 degree side and 1/2 degree base was a good combo for eastern and all mountain type skiing. This is what I have used on my current and past skis.

Finally, if you have a factory base, say 1 degree and you want to change to 1/2, is it necessary to base grind flat and start over?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best,
Gary

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: To what degree
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 05:51:52 pm »
Well, live and learn....I learned today that you can't take your base bevel? down from 1 to 1/2 without a base grind first.
I learned that Head performance skis come with 1 side and 1 base bevel.

I learned from multple tuning tip sites that racers might have a 3 degree side with 1/2 degree base...
recreational performance/racer skiers might use a 2 degree side with 1/2 or even 1 degree base....

That and combinations there of are what I found the best tuners using.

So as I live I learn.....just passing it along!

Best,
Gary

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 10:10:02 am »
Gary, I have at times in the past gone to .5 degree base bevel. For softer and wetter snow in the west it can get very grabby and somewhat unforgiving. I find that 2 side and 1 base is the perfect combo. For east coast ice .5 base may be perfect, but less versatile. 2 and 1 is how I have my SS's and all my carving skis set up. JB.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 02:08:55 pm »
Thanks JB....as I keep researching, I fine the same to be true. Just felt kind of stupid after (as anal as I am) trying to make sure my gear was spot on.

SO...got all the skis in my shop, some done already and am awaiting the SS to show up mid week. They will be set as well with 2 side and 1 base.

Can't wait for JH in 9 days....I'm having snow withdrawal!

Gary

40DayJ

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 06:47:11 pm »
You are probably done by now, but for what it's worth I second the 1 side/2 base. It works very nicely on my 2006 Bandit B2s, which came with 1/1 (a tune I'll never go back to). Even though they are fairly soft skis, it makes afternoon scraped hardpack more manageable. No problems with them being too grabby, they handle nicely all over the hill, 2D, 3D, carving or skidding as necessary.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 08:23:17 pm »
Jeff, I know you mean 2 side and 1 base not the other way.

Yep...I am all set and my skis are set up accordingly. That includes my SS and 82's.

I've used the 2 deg side for  years and really am very comfortable with that edge. Still, I'm wondering what a 3 degree side would be like for ice skiing with my SS. Not messing it with...well, at least for now. I think a 3 deg side might take some of the soft snow and bump ski versatility out of the ski performance making them too grabby.

I'll have to jump on a buddies skis who has set theirs up 3 and 1 some time if I can.

Best,
Gary

40DayJ

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 09:39:07 pm »
LOL. Yes you are right, I meant 2 degree side, NOT 2 degree base.

I will know what a 3 degree base is like on Bandit B2s after I get mine back from being tuned tomorrow. I decided to experiment. What the heck, there's nothing like experience... and nothing to lose except a little metal. More than that will be gone after a few days in the glades.? :D

Moving from 1 to 2 degrees on the side bevel allowed me to carve maybe 40% more hard-snow terrain comfortably. I'm hoping another degree will add a bit more to that.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 08:20:29 am »
Jeff...I'd be real interested in hearing your thoughts on the difference with the 3 degree side bevel..especially on that ski.

I think your skis have a 78mm waist.  I'm wondering if the ski will have too much bite and grabby when your edge is set and you change to the new downhill ski. I'm thinking it's going to be great on hard pack but it's the soft snow and soft bumps I'm curious about (like for all mountain skiing).

Looking forward to hear about your first ride on those "Ginzu" Blade Bandits!

Gary