Author Topic: cycling season has arrived  (Read 1066 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: cycling season has arrived
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 11:17:56 am »
Jim,
Anytime "Realskiers" skiers want to make the trip to the 'loaf, just let me know. Happy to be host and guide.

LP,
I am shocked. You imply that Maine does not have good roads? :o. Actually, how did you know that Maine roads suck? :'(? Yes, I am a roadie. But even with lousy roads, I do not make any concession to pot holes, heaves and **** roads with wider tires. I am a throw back to older times and ride most of the time on tubulars - 22mm. General wheels are Bontrager aluminum Race X tubies with Conti Sprints. Good wheels are Bontrager XXX with Veloflex Carbons. Have not used my clinchers in about 3-4 years and they were all 23mm. Primary bike is an '05 S-works Roubaix. Have been considering a newer model that is supposed to have better "vertical compliance" i.e. softer ride for the "rough" roads. That would be nice for these old bones? 8).

You bring up one of my bike issues. I will take hills any day over wind. Hills come to an end. Wind does not. Here in Maine, winds usually shift so that most of my windy rides, I am fighting head winds the entire ride. It is a rare day that I fight a head wind going out, then have the "wonderful" tail wind coming back. In Maine, it is not uncommon to be going downhill, a significant head wind such that your heart rate is red lining while you are going 10 mph. Such is life. No wonder I am still skiing? ;D.

Jim

meput,

The only reason I know Maine roads suck is that 99.999 of all roads suck, and, few states have Maine winters. My only visit to Maine was a business trip to lobby the Public Utility Commission to make a contract award to a consulting firm to perform an analysis of the under-performing electric reliability in the state. Had we won, I would have spent a summer there and toured extensively. For some reason, I don't think I need to do that level assessment to predict your typical road surface.

Having said the above,

I stand in awe of anyone who rides 22 mm tubular tires on rough roads. Your hands, wrists, elbows, et al, have my best wishes for long life. They don't breed your type here in Pennsylvania.

And here's to all who turn and pedal into headwinds.....damn few of us left! But when we go skiing, we bring a great aerobic system with us. I was so pleased in Summit Co. a couple of weeks ago, with respect to how well I could breath, both on and off the slopes. Not saying I did not have acclimation difficulty, but, my wind did not suck (so bad).