Author Topic: Help on new skis  (Read 413 times)

Cinski

Help on new skis
« on: January 02, 2007, 07:57:56 pm »
Hello:  I'm hoping I can get some opinions on new skis.  I'm a 46 yr old 5'4" female skier living in Colorado.  I primarily ski at Copper Mtn.  I would describe myself as a level 8/9 traditional technique strong skier.  I enjoy fast carving on the front side and when conditions are right...head for the steep and deep.  I ski moguls only by accident.  I currently ski on 176 cm Solomon X-Scream Series that are 8-9 years old.  Knees are a little dicey.  I've demoed 3 times this season and so far like the Rossignol Attraxion V and K2 Burnin Luv's the best.  I've only been able to test 160's in both, no one has longer lengths.  Have not been thrilled with wider waisted skis.  I guess my main question is:  Will the above skis do well off-piste?  Snow conditions have not allowed me to test them in deeper snow/crud.

Thanks for your help.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Help on new skis
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 09:12:34 pm »
Hopefully, one of the great gear aholics here will chime in, but I don't think there are many women here, so experience with womens skis and lengths will be scarce.
I am of no help to you as I am an intermediate with nil experience of the vast array of ski knowledge.
You might want to try 'the skidiva.com' site. There is a gear section where long time skiers woman skiers can add there two cents.
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 10:17:25 pm »
Cinski:

I like midwif's suggestion.? Mollie (another all mountain female Colorado skier) really recommended the ski divas in some of her posts last year.? You should also look at Peter's suggestions (if you haven't already), especially since some of his reviewers would be pretty good female skiers that work at ski shops (and some truly pro skiers from Snowbird).? Click on Equipment and then select 1SQ to get Peter's recommendations for 1 Ski Quiver skis of the year, and then look at the female recommendations for the two top levels of skiers.

Interestingly, the Attraxion and Burnin Love are both on his list.? I"ve also heard good things about the Head Wild Thang.  I think the two you listed would be fine off trail.  Interesting comment about the width, because the Attraxion and the Wild Thang are plenty wide for a women's ski.? Michael has posted some physics in another thread, but because of weight differences a 74mm ski will float a 140lb person as well as an 80+mm ski for a 200lb person.  There are also some narrower waisted skis (such as Head Fast Thang) that have even narrower waists but are still rated for some off-piste capability (depends on how much you do of each).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 10:21:47 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

nevils

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 10:34:25 pm »
Hi Cinski!
I ski on Head iM72's - last season on my suggestion my wife (5'2'' 130 lb, 7/8 skier, older than you) bought the Head Wild Thangs (116/72/101, radius 14.0). She likes her Wild Thangs very much.
Nevils

Barrettscv

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 08:34:07 am »

Barrettscv

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 08:42:16 am »
Cinski:
...I think the two you listed would be fine off trail.? Interesting comment about the width, because the Attraxion and the Wild Thang are plenty wide for a women's ski.? Michael has posted some physics in another thread, but because of weight differences a 74mm ski will float a 140lb person as well as an 80+mm ski for a 200lb person.? There are also some narrower waisted skis (such as Head Fast Thang) that have even narrower waists but are still rated for some off-piste capability (depends on how much you do of each).

This is the topic on ski width, skier size & float: http://skiforums.org/rev2/index.php?topic=81.0

Cheers,

Michael

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 09:31:41 am »
Cinski
When ;you do get new skis, please come back and give us an update. It would be great to have more women giving their perspective on gear.
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 11:03:18 am »
cinski, the burnin luv is a great ski. I have a call into my friend whose wife demoed several woman specific skis. Based on what you are describing however, I wonder if you really need a WSS or could do just fine on any expert ski. Wider skis are not necessary but they can be a lot more stable in loose snow, pow and crud. That said, a lot has to do with your size and weight. Not to be rude but what is your weight? If you are skiing the bowls and other Copper terrain now, then I doubt you really need to go any wider than 70-4mm to get a lot more float and stability. There is a lot of hype and marketing now to go really wide, a lot has to due with personal preference and skill level.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 11:11:26 am »
Hey Cinski.....After much looking for my wife and her demo under fire at Aspen with 3 ft of snow..she went with the Head Wild Thang and loves it. Now this has a 71mm waist and she does not care to ski this on groomers all day.

She is 5'3, 106lbs level 7 skier. Her front side ski is Stockli.

I think if you're a strong skier, staying with either men or female skis in the 68mm waist would be a good choice for all mountain.
You did not mention your weight but that is a factor that dicates "float ability" of a particular ski.

My daughter is a 8/9 skier who lives in Boulder, skis everything and her everything ski is the K2 Burnin'Love....She's 140lbs, 5'5" and skis it in a 16o length.

I think for you in todays ski, the length would be somewhere between the center of your eyes and top of your forehead. If you're weigh more, maybe going to the 167 length would be spot on.

Hmmm..skiing a 176 XScream....a lot of length compared to how the newer skis are being sold.

K2 Burn' Luv could be a great choice...

Best,
Gary

John

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 07:14:38 am »
Cinski:

Hi! got a pair of Elan Magfire 10's (168) this year and love them! I'm in my early 50"s, male, and ski mainly blues and a few choice blacks. Where I ski in Montana, the snow may or may not be groomed and the Magfires preform well for me. I too avoid moguls but due to knee issues. The Magfires are mid-size  (125-74-110) but carve well also. I also keep a pair of K2's (109-68-99, 167 cm) for pure grromer days.