Author Topic: On snow test: Dreamliner  (Read 2046 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
On snow test: Dreamliner
« on: February 04, 2011, 10:51:53 am »
I skied this morning first time with the Dreamliners in the boots. Remember this is Intuitions all new full floating tongue high performance liner....Just thought I'd share some feedback:

Things I like:

My toes stay warmer

My feet FEEL lighter

Quicker edge to edge

Quicker fore and aft

Better sense of my feet on the snow

The upper shin, top of the cuff contact is absolutely brilliant....best I've ever had.

Only thing I did not like compared to the Head Raptor liner is that when I pull my foot out, the tongue gets caught in the plastic and I get pinched.....maybe I just need to figure how to get around that.

For any of you looking for a replacement liner...this could be a good possability. I really like my shells so the liner replacement was a natural. Intuition was great, if I didn't like them, they said they'd take them back...can't beat that.

I noticed after skiing hard on them this morning as I removed the liners, they are starting to conform to my shell and foot. As I walked to the lift line, I could feel the top of my toes rubbing but after 3 runs, that was gone. I have one hot spot just above the left ankle bone....piece of cake to work out.

Hope this helps any looking to enjoy their shells for more seasons but need to retire their packed out liner.
Best,
Gary

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:55:53 am by Gary »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: On snow test: Dreamliner
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 12:05:57 pm »
Gary, to avoid getting caught in the "Bear Claw" there is a specific technique that will get you out of even the tightest plug boots without destroying your feet. With your foot flat on the ground reach down with your hand and put it between the tongue of your boot and your instep. Push forward on the tongue and relaase the heel in the back by starting to pull your foot out of the boot (don't go further or you will get clawed). Then extend the foot in front of you resting just the heel of the boot on the ground. Now reachh down and pull apart the plastic lower which sits just below the ankle. Pull it apart with both hands one on each side.You wnat to separate and create space as you gently pull the rest of your  foot out of the boot keeping the toes up and heel down the whole time. The colder the boot is the harder it is to separate the lower shell, but on the softer Raptor LTD it shoudl be pretty easy even when it is cold (the 150 is a bear when it's cold). This works perfectly for me and I am sure it will do the same for you.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 03:03:29 pm »
Thanks JB....will give that a try.....much appreciated.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 09:05:31 am »
G,

Somehow it's appropriate that you ski in a "Dreamliner".  ;D

Welcome to the Intuition family, love my older heat fitted models that are in the 3rd year. Still warm, still good fit. Great way to extend an older boot and they can be moved to new boots in the future.

One less thing to blame for my sloppy skiing. ::)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:00:24 am »
Ah yes Mike...the name fits...ha..

So...here's an update on that liner after skiing it 5 straight days.

The performance is still top notch due to the upper cuff shin contact...love it.

BUT...having purchased the thinnest of the liners, I found it too thin for my Raptor LTD boot. I had the buckles all the way over on 2 and almost all the way on the other 2.

So..I called Intuition...they make 3 versions and they vary in thickness by 2mm each. I believe the thinnest would be best suited for a plug boot or full race boot.

I ordered the one that's 4 mm thicker all over. I'm hoping I don't loose any of the "feel" of the boot with that. They are sending the liner out no charge except freight and I can return the one I don't like. For sure the current thinnest one has to go back because of the buckle max out.

Will keep all posted on the thickest of the liners and the on snow results.

Best, g

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 09:38:30 am »

Think Foam Gary, think Foam ! :D

Joking aside, I find the almost all liners except the foam, pack out pretty quickly.
In your case, it seems that the thinner liner just wasn't enough for your fit.

The feedback you have after you have the thicker liners will be interesting.

Do you think you will need a few ski days of slight compression discomfort before they
feel broken in?

I am feeling the need for new liners. The new Nordica shell (courtesy of Phil) is great.
So much less boot than my previous one. But while the size is the same, the actual length is about 5mm longer.
And my shorter right foot is feeling some extra room which I don't need.

Keep us posted.

L.
"Play it Sam"

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 11:26:25 am »
I could not agree more on Foam. I just had new liners foamed for my Dodge boots and it just reinforces how great this product is!! As well once foamed they last 300 ski days, which is longer than most will keep their boot shells. Gary if you want a perfect fit (not great or excellent, but perfect) get some Nordica foam liners!! The cost is $350 and it takes about an hour. It hurts for about 5 minutes while you are foaming. I have trouble finding any downside ($350 is more than an intuition liner but you can't compare the on snow performance) to the foam liners and the upside is obvious. It may be hard to find someone that carries them in your area, but you take enough trips to places where they are readily available. I only guarantee one thing, once you ski in them you will never go back. In fact you won't be able to because nothing else will ski this good!!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 07:53:22 am »
Hey Guys....I'm certainly intrigued by the foam concept. I've got the new liners coming in any day and will make a judgement call after that.

Lynn..the Dreamliners actually take the shape of the shell after a full day on the mountain. We were banging pow bumps for 2 days and they got a good breaking in period. They did feel comfortable all over for the most part so I'd give it an A for the out of the box comfort rating.

JB.....I was told by a fitter that the only draw back with the foam is that once a liner is foamed, the liner never changes it's foamed shape. So if your foot changes during the course of the day or year to year, the fit may change. I mean the only example of that I can see is that when I put my foot into my ski boot first thing, it feels larger than after being in it all day on a 15 degree day.? What's your experience?

Thanks, G

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 05:21:15 pm »
I have had no issue. Your foot does expand and shrink depending on altitude, humiidity and temperature. But in general your foot holds it's shape (as your expends uniformly) when this occurs. In Tahoe where it is warmer with more humidity I generally wear thinner socks and start out with less buckle tension. In MT I wear lsightly thicker socks and I will start out with more buckle tension. I don't think you will ever need to change the shape of the foam in the shell it is formed for. If you buy new boots you may need to get a new foam liner that is foamed in that shelll. The Dodge boots have the tightest ankle space that I have ever seen on a boot. My liners that were foamed in the Raptors I could wear but I had some minor hot spots in them. I just foamed new liners in the Dodges and I will ski them this weekend. From what I can tell by trying them on, they appear to be perfect and I am pretty pumped!!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 08:34:26 am »
OK JB...you've got my interest up...

Don't know if I've got enough room in my ski bag for all the socks I'd need to carry  ;D...but it's nice to know there IS a liner I can turn to if the next Dreamliner doesn't fit the bill.

Look forward to your test of the new boots with the custom liners...

Best, g

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 10:19:46 am »
I will definitely let you know how they are skiing!! I think the only real question is how tight they will be on day one (takes 2-3 days to develop a little space in there so the first day or two can be on the tight side).

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 01:22:18 pm »
Gesh JB....Lynn will try on most any boot and leave them on for days....I think there really is something going on with that...

She could be like a professional boot breaker inner.....yes I know not the same but but what the heck...

it's Lynn!!!

;D

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 05:06:34 pm »
Gary

That's just because the pain of removing them (just to put them back on again a mere
10 hrs later) was NOT worth it! :D

I feel pretty sure that my replacement liner will be foam again. Now that I don't have a shell  heated and bent at the
ankle to comform to that small diameter, I have no problems getting in/out. Well, no more so than anyone else. :P

Still, I am open to good info.

L.

PS. For a substantial fee, I will happily break others boots in. Baseball bat anyone??? >:D >:D

"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 08:04:56 am »
Now Lynn, for some...not me personally, but you in ski boots swinging a baseball bat might be well.....a tease...but hey if Jim likes that kind of.... >:D

Now I would like to add this tasty little tidbit...

I was sent an email from a friend about the new Fischer Vacum boot...it actually uses a heat and cold process to shrink wrap the shell around your foot...now how cool is that!

Supposed to be on the market this coming season....The ski boot industry may about to be tipped upside down....

Hope you have happy feet....best, g

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 11:49:06 am »
Sounds VERY INTERESTING!
"Play it Sam"

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 06:32:51 am »
I could not agree more on Foam. I just had new liners foamed for my Dodge boots and it just reinforces how great this product is!! As well once foamed they last 300 ski days, which is longer than most will keep their boot shells. Gary if you want a perfect fit (not great or excellent, but perfect) get some Nordica foam liners!! The cost is $350 and it takes about an hour. It hurts for about 5 minutes while you are foaming. I have trouble finding any downside ($350 is more than an intuition liner but you can't compare the on snow performance) to the foam liners and the upside is obvious. It may be hard to find someone that carries them in your area, but you take enough trips to places where they are readily available. I only guarantee one thing, once you ski in them you will never go back. In fact you won't be able to because nothing else will ski this good!!

John,

I hope your daughter is feeling better.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 12:04:47 pm »

Gary
How about an update on your Dreamliner?

Did the thicker version work out well?

Any comments?

L.
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 05:21:14 pm »
Hey Lynn...

It's like Goldilocks and the 3 bears....it's all about porridge.....

The first liner felt too thin...the thickest liner wouldn't fit into the boot, and the middle liner the toe box was too big..well almost like Goldilocks....

The only problem with the thinnest liner was that the upper cuff was too thin...
So using mans best friend....tape..I put a whole bunch of layers around the upper cuff...and those bad boys are dialed in.

I did have to do a little sanding in the toe box to accommodate the liners toe box but I've got them as comfy as a pea in a pod, a bug in a rug, a ....ok...you get it!  ;D

Lynn...having said all that...I really want to look into the Fischer Vacuum boot when it hits the shops...the process intrigues me....

I still think the Dreamliner is awesome especially the way the tongue contacts the shin...it's so even I have no hot spots and the flex is superb.

Best, G

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 04:39:11 pm »
I'm in the liner market too with my new boots.  Is the new Intuition Dreamliner actually the HD Race or FX Race or is this something totally different that they don't yet have listed on their web site?  I have an extremely tight plug boot type fit (less than 5mm shell fit) and I was leaning toward either the Nordica foam or the ZipFit GARA, but I've been skiing Intuitions for years and they have a soft spot in my heart.  I'm just worried that I wouldn't be able to get them and my feet in my shells at the same time.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 09:26:42 am »
Sorry it took so long to respond....been fighting a nasty viral thing..
Ok...the Dreamliner is totally new...

I ended up keeping the thinnest one and am thrilled with the tongue shin contact and performance...best I've ever had...HOWEVER...

because I have a thin lower leg, I had to wrap the upper cuff with almost a complete roll of hockey tape. (thank you Terryl)

A cheap price to pay for great performance. So if you're not ready to give up your favortie shells...the Dreamliner could be an option. Just be prepared to make a few modifications.
G