Author Topic: Watea 98 review  (Read 2091 times)

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Watea 98 review
« on: January 22, 2011, 02:06:57 pm »
I bought the Watea 98 at 186cm.? I am 6'2" and 200lbs.? I am a level 7-8 skier

Skied them so far 3 days at Snowshoe WV.? They have been a ton of fun.? The first day on the groomers, I was expecting a sluggish, slow kinda boring ski.? They were new so I had to try them out.? They ended up being a lot of fun.? I am no expert at wide skies, previous widest ski was the Watea 84 that Jim let me ski.? These feel almost as quick and just as fun for me which was a pleasant surprise.? I skied them on the factory line on the groomers the first day.?

The second day we got 8 inches of fresh powder with a lot of wind so drifts up to mid lower leg.? They were great in these conditions.? I moved the bindings back just 1cm and it made a big difference. Prior to that the tips were bogging a little and I found myself moving to the back seat.? Once I moved them, they were really great.? Super fun, quick, stable, and instantly made me a better skier in these conditions.? Mid day I was aiming at the skied up piles of powder and just blasting over or through them.?

Today I skied soft groomers and left over crud, still? 0.5 - 1 cm back and they were very fun, and stable.? I was surprised and switched to my SS mag mid day and didn't notice much benefit at all with edge grip.? I have to say it makes me suspect the tune on the Mags.? I tuned them prior to coming but didn't have time to finish the edges with a diamond stone.? The Wateas have nice sharp edges at 1 and 3 the same as my SS mags.? Still, the edge grip on the Wateas is very good if you stay centered over the binding, the mags have a bigger sweet spot for hard pack and ice.

The power rail bindings are super easy to adjust.  I can now do it in 2 minutes for both skis without taking off my gloves.  No tools needed.  The biggest problem for me is my over 40 eyesight and when wearing contacts for distant vision, I am glad to have long arms ;D

Over all a fun ski that should be great for my trips out west.?

Addendum - the powder hull thing is interesting to look at.? I seems to me to be mostly a marketing thing.? That said, the tips don't deflect side to side at all that I can tell.? One down side is they will be harder to wax.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Watea 98 review
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 06:32:04 am »
love to hear it when folks discover that 100mm wide isn't the evil, bulky, cumbersome ski they were told it was.....? the 90 something ski can easily become the everyday ski for many!? Cheers enjoy.

curious, why did you put a 3;1 on them?  did scott do that?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:17:39 am by Ron »

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 05:30:10 pm »
That is what Scott told me they came with from the factory.  I didn't check it.  I don't have a good way to measure except to mark the edge and take a file to it lightly and make sure it comes off even.  :-\ 

Oh, and Gary, I haven't had time to wax the top sheets.  Perhaps you can bring some nice Carnauba wax to Steamboat with you to help me out  >:D

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 05:47:34 pm »
Perry,

Really glad that Ullr provided you with some freshies on your first weekend with the Watea 98's. Can't imagine anyone getting new skis and not getting on them at the first opportunity. May he equally bless your upcoming trip to the 'boat.

Like you, I'm not an expert in wider skis, but, concur that it's a pleasant surprise to feel good edge hold, plus, the stability of a longer makes cruising fun. In Dawg's reviews, he frequently makes the point that ski's are different rather than good or bad and 's how I feel about my Shapes and MX88's. Just enjoy both and see what one teaches you about the other. The Shapes make me a better skier, the MX88's free me up. It's all good. ;D

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:15:23 am »
Mike,
Well said!  I also forgot to mention that these really do ski much shorter than 186.  They are a twin tip so they don't ski much longer than my 177 SS Mag. In some ways shorter because they are easier to rotate :o

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 07:03:19 am »
Interesting, thats gotta be the 1st 3;1 rockered ski I have ever heard of.  Good news is that on soft snow, it doesn't matter  ;D  The turned up tail releases much easier so they will feel shorter as they require less input.  i would like to give those a spin, they seem like a lot of fun. 

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 07:35:03 am »
I am happy to let you give them a ride. If you are going to be in Steamboat (home) Feb 5-12 you get to demo.  If it is real deep, I could ski the benny, but I doubt I could be that persuasive  >:D  I would like to ride the ONE in any case.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:07:52 pm »
I will be there jan 29-5ht. Sorry bro!  If its real deep?  this season so far has somewhat redefined "real deep" for me.........  ;D

I only skied with you a little but I would recommend you grab a pair of 195 S7's or something at least 115 if you get even 6" or so, I really think you would take to a wider ski very easily. Hopefully the boat will not dissapoint. I wish I could be there to take you on a little guide of our trees...... 

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 01:11:46 pm »
Hey Perry...we're back from Jackson HOle where we had epic snow conditions and fun...a foot fell mid week and what a rush.

As far as the wax for your top sheets....Hmmmm.... I would be happy to take them out for a run and apply my warm wax version for you..... >:D

Let's keep them babies looking pristine so this summer with those hulls, you can put a little electric motor on the tails and troll in the local ponds!   >:D

Looking forward to making turns with you and your wife, Ed from Chicago will be there and my daughter Grace is coming up from Boulder to ski mid week.

Now let's get some...glad to hear you like the Wateas...all the best, g

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 06:06:56 pm »
Should be fun.  Gloria loves her Koa 84.  She is nervous about skiing with all the "great skiers" from realskiers.  I told her it was all about having fun! 

Any way to get discounted Steamboat lift tickets?

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 07:05:31 am »
discounted tickets at the boat?  other than buying multi-day pass's.... no! 

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 07:07:55 am »
didn't think so but had to ask - thanks

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 07:49:12 am »
yeah, can't hurt.....

BTW- on any given day there are many olympians on the mountain skiing and many locals who totally rip......  so there's never a day I am there and not think "I suck"..... ;D  this was especially true last week up in BC....  So tell the wife not to worry.....  Have fun.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 08:07:17 am »
Hey P....she WILL be an "Olympian" by weeks end!   ;D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 08:13:14 am »
ummm, no but if you have fun that's really all that matters... we're gapers for life. Unless you grow up on a mountain, we are all just gapers.....